Sky box in a cupboard?

I can understand that thinking.
They seem to sneak things in a lot on free, cheap deals that have been around for yonks, a modern practice and I will not say which country I think it might stem from (Monetarize everything ethos?)
Companies like (and especially) sky have always done this. IE 'Subscribe for only £9.99' However there is then a compulsory installation fee of £50 and oh actually the advert was specifically written to make you think the word free meant feeless and internet is extra, oh and you need a TV package to be able to watch anything... And don't forget the free receiver never belongs to you and the contract states it is on a rental agreement and it must be returned when you stop paying for the overpriced service but the moment it goes wrong they deny it's their property and quote rediculous fees for someone to come look at it, oh and phone up to cancel and they pass you round from pillar to post for 2 hours until you mention to them you rang a freephone number and not their premium rate customer service line...
Worm on the hook and reel in the customers who are too silly to realise what's happening to them.

One only has to look at their scrap policy to see why they have to charge so much.

Sponsored Links
All recordings on SKY HD & SKY Q are physically kept on disc. To access the recordings you need a subscription applicable for that system- the HD Subscription is effectively cancelled on transfer to SKY Q. There is no mechanism for transferring the actual recordings from box to box.

Found this from Sky Hope it helps

All recordings on SKY HD & SKY Q are physically kept on disc. To access the recordings you need a subscription applicable for that system- the HD Subscription is effectively cancelled on transfer to SKY Q. There is no mechanism for transferring the actual recordings from box to box.

Found this from Sky Hope it helps
So what you are saying (and I believe most on here understand to be the situation) is the programs you paid to watch and copy to save for future viewing with no time limit are taken away from you. Anywhere else that would be described as theft.

SUNRAY
Yes my friend had this problem ,I went on sky web site just to be sure before I commented .
Also say you had 10 films saved on your box and you changed to a lower month fee that does not have film channels in your package you will not be able to view the films

TO be able to view recorded items you have to have a Sky subscription which includes the channels they were recorded from.Jan 23, 2024
sorry for the bold writing taken from sky web site

Sponsored Links
So what you are saying (and I believe most on here understand to be the situation) is the programs you paid to watch and copy to save for future viewing with no time limit are taken away from you. Anywhere else that would be described as theft.
That surely depends upon the terms of the contract? The question of 'theft' would only arise if ownership of the recordings passed to the subscriber, which I presume it doesn't. What one pays for is the right to have access to (hence view) the recordings during the duration of one's contract - in that situation, if the contract end, then so does 'access'.

It's like annually-licensed computer software. One doesn't 'buy' (become owner of) such software but, rather, pays for a licence to use it for a year (or whatever period). If that subscription ends, one can no longer use it, even though it probably still physically exists on one's hard drive/whatever.

My Wife wants one of those Snooze band things after her sister got one and told her how good it was.
Bearing in mind my own point of view and the comments as made by the good folk on this forum I mentioned after a year or two has passed it might follow that market leaders start to monetarise items that are free as now.

My Wife wants one of those Snooze band things after her sister got one and told her how good it was.
Bearing in mind my own point of view and the comments as made by the good folk on this forum I mentioned after a year or two has passed it might follow that market leaders start to monetarise items that are free as now.
OMG whatever...

This just demonstrates the folly of paying for the overpriced Sky .... service .... and why some people hang on to their .... and their video recorder
You appear to be quoting flameport in a very misleading way, in one case totally out of context (and in a different thread). If I were him, I don't think I'd be very happy :)

SUNRAY
Yes my friend had this problem ,I went on sky web site just to be sure before I commented .
Also say you had 10 films saved on your box and you changed to a lower month fee that does not have film channels in your package you will not be able to view the films

TO be able to view recorded items you have to have a Sky subscription which includes the channels they were recorded from.Jan 23, 2024
sorry for the bold writing taken from sky web site
I just download film for free viainternet, no reason to have a skybox.

I just download film for free viainternet, no reason to have a skybox.
I'm certainly no defender f Sky pricing or policies/practices but, to be fair, there's a lot of films available from Sky (not to mention all the Sky programmes) which would be difficult or impossible to "download for free from the internet".

You appear to be quoting flameport in a very misleading way...:)
I'm only using the words he loves to bandy about on here, frequently to condemn the things that many don't think are a problem.

I'm only using the words he loves to bandy about on here, frequently to condemn the things that many don't think are a problem.
Yes, I realise that (although you missed some of the classic ones like 'tat' and 'obsolete' :). )

You know that I share your concerns about the words and phrases he often uses, particularly when he )often) uses them in a manner that makes his personal views/opinions appear to be 'absolute facts', or even regulations.

However, simply quoting individual words/phrases he has written in various contexts, seems to me to be a little ion the 'naughty' side :)

That surely depends upon the terms of the contract? The question of 'theft' would only arise if ownership of the recordings passed to the subscriber, which I presume it doesn't. What one pays for is the right to have access to (hence view) the recordings during the duration of one's contract - in that situation, if the contract end, then so does 'access'.

It's like annually-licensed computer software. One doesn't 'buy' (become owner of) such software but, rather, pays for a licence to use it for a year (or whatever period). If that subscription ends, one can no longer use it, even though it probably still physically exists on one's hard drive/whatever.
It is called "intellectual property".

Even when you buy a CD/DVD you are only buying a limited right to view the recording (e.g. no commercial use) and you do not own the content.

Sky is selling a right to view subject to certain conditions which include having a Sky subscription. Some of that subscription is paid tot he IP owner (e.g. Disney). If you no longer have a subscription you no longer have a right to view.

Downloading films free from the internet is normally a breach of copyright - unless they are very old.

Believe it or not the Dad's Army cast were paid a paltry fee plus a share of the programme rights so every time the series are shown on the TV the cast (or whoever benefitted from their wills) get a payment. Downloading "free" from t'internet avoids these payments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back