Sky box in a cupboard?

Even when you buy a CD/DVD you are only buying a limited right to view the recording (e.g. no commercial use) and you do not own the content. ... Sky is selling a right to view subject to certain conditions which include having a Sky subscription. Some of that subscription is paid tot he IP owner (e.g. Disney). If you no longer have a subscription you no longer have a right to view.
Quite so - as I said, similar to software which is annually (or whatever) licensed.
Downloading films free from the internet is normally a breach of copyright - unless they are very old.
Indeed.
Believe it or not the Dad's Army cast were paid a paltry fee plus a share of the programme rights so every time the series are shown on the TV the cast (or whoever benefitted from their wills) get a payment. Downloading "free" from t'internet avoids these payments.
Indeed. Many years ago, a friend of mine who was a sometime actress appeared in n American Express TV advert, in which she spoke about6 words (at a hotel checkout). They continued broadcasting that particularly advert for a surprisingly long time and, years later, she was rather embarrassed by the fact that she was continuing to receive significant payments every month, relating to each time the ad had been broadcast!

Sponsored Links
I don't recall all of the details about the case where a big music company in America, someone like EMI took out a legal action to prevent the recording of radio broadcasts, they lost the case big time.
Some years later the same company tried a similar action in UK and lost even bigger time, however the judgement given down and therefore set a precedent stated any program being broadcast on a public broadcast service such as radio broadcasts (of which television is included) which had the rights to broadcast it were deemed to be in public domain and recording/copying was legitimate for private viewing imperpetuity, somewhere in there it was described as time shifting.
Therefore if someone were to record a program, for example a film from a public broadcast service, for example BBC, and that service had obtained the rights to broadcast that material. The person making the copy and their immediate household are deemed to be covered to keep that copy and view it in their household whenever they wish. A few cases have gone through courts where such a legitimate recording has been made from a fully licensed broadcast via a fully licensed receiving station and stored at the licensed property until after the receiving license has lapsed, at that point and later the recording may legitimately be replayed within that household at any time.

Copyright material may recorded for or rebroadcast on a public broadcast system providing authorisation is obtained. That authorisation takes several forms.

As a person involved with public broadcast systems for 60 years I have had to work under the public broadcasting of copyrighted materials rules and at times have held:

PRS (Performing Rights Society) accounts and registration; allowing me to publicly broadcast copyright material on a case by case basis.

PPL (Phonographic Performance Limited) accounts and their licenses; allowing me to publicly broadcast copyright material without having to register/pay for each performance.

PRL & VGRL (phonographic/videographic reproduction license) allowing me to record copyright material, either from original media which I don't own (IE from a record purchased from Woolworths borrowed from a friend) or material recorded from an authorised public broadcast (IE from BBC top 20 or Toy Story).

There is an anomaly whereby the music from top 20 can be rebroadcast under PRS or PPL but permission to broadcast the presenter has to be seperately obtained.

Public broadcast includes: Radio broadcasting, Public address (IE village fetes, music festival), background music in a workplace etc.

Intellecual property becomes a problem when it has been publically broadcast as according to the court judgement and ruling is passes into the public domain (subsequent court cases have confirmed this) and copying and storing for private use is legally a legitimate thing to do. Paying an additional fee to receive such material for copying and storage for private use adds another layer of ownership. IP may be recorded and publicly played under PRL & PPL and cannot be disassociated from PPL but PRS may not be permitted to cover it.

My last dealings with much of the red tape started dwindling a number of years back and I understand some simplification has taken place, I make no claims the above is up to date. There has always been an element of negotiation with the services regarding permissions and costs for example a charity event may be granted free use, a radio stations royalties fee will vary dependant coverage area/potential listner numbers.

Quite often a pre release may be offered to a broadcast service with provisos; for example a pop group may give an exclusive preview copy of their new single to a radiostation with the condition they play particular jingles over it and even specify what times it's played and when the jingle is played within the track, this is probably more prevalent in USA where competion between the radio stations is fierce.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back