Stop the Yachts

Sponsored Links
Skipper is saying the storm came from nowhere and they didn’t see it coming. So not showing on radar, barometer, nobody felt the sudden chill , saw the clouds building 6 or so hours before etc.

If everyone else in the vicinity agrees then fine. But my gut feel, is he is the guy without big lawyers and will get the blame. The yacht should have coped.

Skipper’s job is to be up to date on weather forecast and even a fast developing wind/storm can be seen in the sky (clouds etc).

Just the other day I was off lime bay and we saw a front coming that was not forecast. We had 10-20 mins to set our sails etc. wind went from f4 to f7. But was expected simply by looking at the sky.

Skipper will have to explain why he stayed anchored.
Did all the boats in the bay see the storm coming?

This picture was taken shortly before the storm hit, with the Bayesian in the foreground.

bayesian.jpg

Sponsored Links
The yacht should have coped.
The Daily Mail (yuck) has an interesting page on this. Radar image they claim shows 150mph winds and a shot of another happening, a cruise ship on it's side and not sinking. An earlier event.

A lot of types of boats use a simple method of avoiding sinking. An example. I wanted to go on an island trip off Pembrokeshire coast. I heard that the vessel came out of Milford Haven and asked if I could get on there. Answer no. The crew would be in the cabin if needed no place for me which at times would be rather unfortunate. The cabin prevents the boat from flooding which in a sense makes it unsinkable.

One of the main questions about the Bayesian is that it would need a lot of water to get in to sink quickly so just how did this happen?

I guess we will find out. MAIB will definitely look in to that.

I was going to take a picture of the radar today to show a rain storm I was tracking but I got busy.

We tracked a rain front from about 10 miles today. With a single radar mounted about 12m up. We had 30 mins easy to see it was catching us.

A 20kt (top of F5) wind should not sink any boat.
I read it was a powerful downburst with winds of up to 100mph that hit the boat. Any kind of craft afloat would have a serious problem with that, it seems to me.

Sponsored Links
Back