Stop the Yachts

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, however apparently there's a black box that will hopefully answer at least some of the questions.

I'm interested to know if the retractable keel had been retracted.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I agree.
But it might have motivated some kind of preventative actions, like closing doors, etc.

Depends how suddenly it dumped on them.

After all, an eyewitness said that he was trying to sleep outside, as it was so fiercely hot.
Locking oneself into a boat - admittedly, a luxurious one - in close to forty degrees in the dead of night, doesn't sound like something I'd do readily.

The Guardian has pulled in some Italian press reports. Interesting video as well. Times mentioned from sinking to flare don't make much sense. Keel partly withdrawn which is not that unusual. Best read yourself

15 survived. I find that odd from a fully sunken boat. It suggests time to get off. A flare would normally be fired immediately. It's doubtful that anyone would be on the open top deck. Pass really. The boat should have been capable of withstanding it. It's ocean going or is it?

Suppose I am wondering about a decision to abandon it which means things open to get people out. Normally it seems the crew would be expected to handle what comes along and make the boat safe. Panic maybe?

Best await the enquiry.

Yeah, but if you don't blame someone, you run the risk of being blamed yourself.

Like a preemptive strike (of the legal variety), as it were.
That line's on the first page of Mot's Guide to General Discussion, is it not?

Keel was not fully deployed on the sea bed. But obviously this is hydraulic and who can say how it might work when everything is flooded.

Electrics on boats are not waterproof other than those expected to get wet.

Skipper’s job is to be up to date on weather forecast and even a fast developing wind/storm can be seen in the sky (clouds etc).

Just the other day I was off lime bay and we saw a front coming that was not forecast. We had 10-20 mins to set our sails etc. wind went from f4 to f7. But was expected simply by looking at the sky.

Skipper will have to explain why he stayed anchored.

Skipper’s job is to be up to date on weather forecast and even a fast developing wind/storm can be seen in the sky (clouds etc).

Just the other day I was off lime bay and we saw a front coming that was not forecast. We had 10-20 mins to set our sails etc. wind went from f4 to f7. But was expected simply by looking at the sky.

Not when it is pitch black.

The Guardian has pulled in some Italian press reports. Interesting video as well. Times mentioned from sinking to flare don't make much sense. Keel partly withdrawn which is not that unusual. Best read yourself

15 survived. I find that odd from a fully sunken boat. It suggests time to get off. A flare would normally be fired immediately. It's doubtful that anyone would be on the open top deck. Pass really. The boat should have been capable of withstanding it. It's ocean going or is it?

Suppose I am wondering about a decision to abandon it which means things open to get people out. Normally it seems the crew would be expected to handle what comes along and make the boat safe. Panic maybe?

Best await the enquiry.

Pretty much all sailing boats over 30 feet are ocean capable. The ability to cope is really the design of the hull. A so called “blue water”. Deeper hull is slower but can take waves better. Shallows are faster. But a sailing ship like this will be designed to cope with ocean crossing.

Sometimes the skipper has a plan that the guests don’t like and you just have to make your call.

We had some very changeable conditions yesterday, sometimes we were caught in windless spells, but we could see other boats enjoying the wind with full sails.
During one calm windless spell, it was possible to see the wind coming from the disturbance on the surface of the water.

Sponsored Links
Back