Storage heater off peak time adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Economy 7 tariff currently has off-peak hours from 1am to 8am. However the switch connected to my storage heater is currently set to turn on between 12am and 7am. How can I make adjustment to the timer, if there is one (no idea where please someone advise) to suit my Economy 7 tariff, off-peak hours timeframe

Sponsored Links
Dimplex XTC see photos. Don’t think there is a timer, I couldn’t find it. Anyone know how the timeframe being set? Please advise.

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpeg
    IMG_7074.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7075.jpeg
    IMG_7075.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7076.jpeg
    IMG_7076.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7077.jpeg
    IMG_7077.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 34
There must be a bit more. Is there another fuseboard? Show me the meter and anything connected to it.

The photo of the consumers unit is too blurry to decipher, and most of the breakers do not have description labels, so hard to comment on that.

Sponsored Links
See closer photo of the left side CU, those 4 MCBs are connected to my heaters, 3 out of 4 are storage heaters and the other one is a very old simplex wall panel heater (not a storage heater, see photo) which can be turned on/off anytime. Storage heaters only turn on between 12am to 7am. Not sure if there’s timer somewhere, Any idea ?

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpeg
    IMG_7090.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7091.jpeg
    IMG_7091.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 19
I have looked at all the pictures, but non show "the switch connected to my storage heater is currently set to turn on between 12am and 7am." @Taylortwocities has had a guess as to what may be used, but we have not seen if this guess is correct.

Economy 7 is a tariff, not a system, it started with the "White meter" where a independent fuse board was used for off peak, we have since since then many methods, some with 5 heavy cables into the meter and the meter does the switching, some with a trigger cable from the meter, and some where the user has to do the switching.

My home uses the latter method, I have 5 hours of off peak, and there is some uncertainty as to if off peak uses BST or UTC so I only use 4 hours, my washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher can have a delay set in half or one hour increments, longer times one hour only, the solar inverter has a set time to recharge battery, but even if all turn on together, I would not exceed the 60 amp supply to house and the longest load is tumble drier, which takes around 2.5 hours, so 4 hours is ample.

But I will admit I had to ring up the solar panel installer to find out how to set the batteries to charge with off peak power, it was not as easy as it first looked.

However as it stands we have no idea what does the timing for you, so we can't really help.

Let's start again.

My Economy 7 tariff currently has off-peak hours from 1am to 8am.
Ok. How do you know that?

However the switch connected to my storage heater is currently set to turn on between 12am and 7am.
It's a switch which can be switched on or off - no settings.
How do you know something turns on at 12 if the power doesn't turn on until 1?

How can I make adjustment to the timer,
What timer?

if there is one (no idea where please someone advise) to suit my Economy 7 tariff, off-peak hours timeframe
If there isn't one then the heaters must just come on whenever the off-peak supply is on.

Between 1am and 8 am is a bit later than usual.

Ok. How do you know that?
I checked that with my supplier
It's a switch which can be switched on or off - no settings.
How do you know something turns on at 12 if the power doesn't turn on until 1?
Because last year i replaced one of my storage heater with a wall panel heater, and replaced it switch with a 1 gang 13amp wall socket, I can only use that new 1 gang socket between 12am and 7am, cause it won’t work outside of the 7 hours window
What timer?
Maybe a timer to adjust the off peaks timeframe, Might not exist, I don’t know.
See attached, I have taken more photos from my meter room, found something looks like a timer but no sure if it is for my flat. I tried to see if there any cables from my meter connected to the ‘timer’, but found none.
Please advise.
If there isn't one then the heaters must just come on whenever the off-peak supply is on.

Between 1am and 8 am is a bit later than usual.
Is that how it’s supposed to work? If so then good. Cause I was worried as storage heater turns on an hour earlier than the designated off-peak period, it will likely use electricity at the higher peak-rate tariff

Attachments

• IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 31
I checked that with my supplier
Ok.

Because last year i replaced one of my storage heater with a wall panel heater, and replaced it switch with a 1 gang 13amp wall socket, I can only use that new 1 gang socket between 12am and 7am, cause it won’t work outside of the 7 hours window
So - not between 1 and 8 like the supplier said.

Maybe a timer to adjust the off peaks timeframe, Might not exist, I don’t know.
Not if it works as the new socket.

See attached, I have taken more photos from my meter room, found something looks like a timer but no sure if it is for my flat. I tried to see if there any cables from my meter connected to the ‘timer’, but found none.
Please advise.
Can't tell.

Is that how it’s supposed to work? If so then good. Cause I was worried as storage heater turns on an hour earlier than the designated off-peak period, it will likely use electricity at the higher peak-rate tariff
It would but it doesn't look like that is what you have.

This meter 1729153209251.png with 5 cables, switching done in the meter, this meter 1729153315002.png no switching in the meter, this 1729153415825.png is a 7 day timer, but seems unlikely to have anything to do with storage radiators. When I look at the smart meter app, it has two options, kWh or £, it is clear comparing the two, most of my electric is off peak.

Since we don't know which meter is yours, can't really be 100% but seems likely all done in the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back