Surging Lawnmower

It might be totally unrelated but just had a similar fault with a strimmer with the same carb as yours. Tried replacing it with a new one but only made a slight improvement . I removed the carb. again and the spacer behind it so that you could see into the barrel easily. the piston when slowly moved up and down with the pull cord (spark plug removed) appeared to have lost a ring. The owner declined spending any more money on it so not sure if that was a problem or not but I suspected that it was not drawing in enough fuel from the carb. because it had a broken ring that had dropped into the sump.

Sponsored Links
When the engine is running, fuel is sucked from the carburettor float chamber, not the fuel tank.
The float chamber is refilled from the tank, and regulated by the needle valve which in itself is controlled by the white plastic float.
Nothing needs to be adjusted, drilled or bent.....this will come back to haunt.
When the engine surges, it is short on fuel. As the revs drop, the governor opens the throttle to compensate so the revs go up and down.
I can’t say if the internal governor is working or not, all I can say is that I’ve never had one fail.
I’m getting a little lost here.....can you get the engine to idle at low speed by adjusting the black plastic idle screw, or does the governor not let you?
John
Whatever position the idle screw is in, the engine surges. I was just wondering that, if everything from the tank to carburettor appears fine, even with the new carburettor before I tampered with it and it still surges, is the fault somewhere else, like the other guy said:

It might be totally unrelated but just had a similar fault with a strimmer with the same carb as yours. Tried replacing it with a new one but only made a slight improvement . I removed the carb. again and the spacer behind it so that you could see into the barrel easily. the piston when slowly moved up and down with the pull cord (spark plug removed) appeared to have lost a ring. The owner declined spending any more money on it so not sure if that was a problem or not but I suspected that it was not drawing in enough fuel from the carb. because it had a broken ring that had dropped into the sump.
It was fine last year and then I foolishly left fuel in it over winter. Then first use this year, it started with this problem. Could the fuel have clogged or deteriorated something inside the engine? But you guys know a lot more than I do.

Thanks

It was fine last year and then I foolishly left fuel in it over winter. Then first use this year, it started with this problem. Could the fuel have clogged or deteriorated something inside the engine? But you guys know a lot more than I do.

No, old fuel simply gums the carb up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back