Tools robbed from my van last night

Sponsored Links
The Police are absolutely disgusting where tool theft is concerned, crime reference number and jog on.
Yeah, it's more or less the same if you are burgled
Ive had handy sized stuff lifted off the van by opportunists.
I've had scrotes at the side door when I've been at the rear doors working on stuff.
The trick is to do all the stuff to protect or track your tools. The issue there is that the hoops you need to jump through are a ball ache.

The problem is they will come and will likely arrest you.
For trying to recover your tools from a thief???
Come on!
A few times I had thieves' head under my boot until copper arrived.
I was praised, never reprimanded.
Although, on one occasion a woke tried to hit me with an umbrella to free a scumbag who'd taken an old lady's purse.
I grabbed the umbrella, broke in 2 and threw back at her.
The cops arrived, she complained and the cops told her that if she didn't disappear she would've been arrested for assault.

Sponsored Links
A few years ago, I turned up at work to find the the side door of a van had been bent over. I guessed it belonged to the tenant living at the top of the property and let him know. We couldn't workout how they had done it without scratching the paintwork. I later discovered that you can slide an air wedge in and then insert your fingers and pull the top of the door towards you. The alarm is not triggered and the toe rag lenas in and steals whatever he can reach.

Years before that, a mate had a long wheel based mercedes sprinter. He always left the backdoors unlocked if the van was empty. One night, when the van was empty, someone broke in via the locked side door...

If you have reasonable suspicion of an indictable offence (e.g witnesses a robbery) then you are free to make a citizens arrest using an appropriate level of force.

That does not extend to searching and seizing goods without a court order.

It would be different if you saw him running up the street with your tools in hand.

Last edited:
If you have reasonable suspicion of an indictable offence (e.g witnesses a robbery) then you are free to make a citizens arrest using an appropriate level of force.

It would be different if you saw him running up the street with your tools in hand.

But it is worth noting, that if someone has committed a very minor crime, eg dropping a cigarette on the pavement, you are not allowed to make a citizen's arrest. In such a scenario no level of force would be considered appropriate.

Searching?
Seizing?
We're talking about a scumbag selling stolen tools and the owner recognising them.
Don't know you, but I can recognise my tools from a distance.
I also have all serial numbers saved and inconspicuous marks, just in case.
What court order are you talking about?
If the op recognises his tools, he would make an appointment to "buy" them, probably in a car park.
He would then look at the tools, see that they're the ones stolen from him and "politely" and "calmly" recover them.
If the police is there, the thief/stolen goods handler won't be harmed.
No need for a court order to meet people in a car park.

One of the excuses/reasons the Police use for not viewing CCTV is that they probably won't find the perpetrators from images alone, but......

The Southport riots enabled many arrests from "images alone" on social media.

If it's media based or finance based the police will take action, there is no financial revenue in finding thieves.

One of the excuses/reasons the Police use for not viewing CCTV is that they probably won't find the perpetrators from images alone, but......

If it's media based or finance based the police will take action, there is no financial revenue in finding thieves.

They didn't directly gain "financially" from identifying those people. Most of the people that were prosecuted pleaded guilty. I am not fan of the plod, but they could legitimately argue that the swift arrests (and prosections) were an effective deterrent. The fact that order was restored pretty quickly would lead me to think that they might have been correct.

Yep, Two Tier again.

But it is worth noting, that if someone has committed a very minor crime, eg dropping a cigarette on the pavement, you are not allowed to make a citizen's arrest. In such a scenario no level of force would be considered appropriate.
Indictable offences. Correct.

Searching?
Seizing?
We're talking about a scumbag selling stolen tools and the owner recognising them.
Don't know you, but I can recognise my tools from a distance.
I also have all serial numbers saved and inconspicuous marks, just in case.
What court order are you talking about?
If the op recognises his tools, he would make an appointment to "buy" them, probably in a car park.
He would then look at the tools, see that they're the ones stolen from him and "politely" and "calmly" recover them.
If the police is there, the thief/stolen goods handler won't be harmed.
No need for a court order to meet people in a car park.
What happens if the seller refuses?

During the riots the CCTV and photographic evidence produced was deployed for exactly that purpose.
It wasn't some cheapo CCTV camera stuck up on a wall to deter criminals.

Sponsored Links
Back