Two gang FCU with outlets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer asked me to put her TV up on the wall. She wants it as close to the wall as possible. That means that there is no space to plug it into the existing two gang socket. I suggested cutting the plug off the power flex and using a FCU with an outlet, but I have only ever seen them in single gang options.

I guess I could cut a hole for a single FCU and use the existing two gang socket as a supply but the wall is plasterboard over 18mm ply and the local CEF often don't have back boxes that can deal with walls that thick.

Sponsored Links
Customer asked me to put her TV up on the wall. She wants it as close to the wall as possible. That means that there is no space to plug it into the existing two gang socket. I suggested cutting the plug off the power flex and using a FCU with an outlet, but I have only ever seen them in single gang options
There are only singles -

Dual back-box with two
or
Grid modules.

There are only singles -

Dual back-box with two
or
Grid modules.

The dual back box with two- can you provide a link (please)? Will it work with a regular drywall type 2 gang? If not I will look at grid modules. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A dual (two single accessories) box requires a slightly larger hole in the wall than a double box (one double accessory) and you may struggle to find one that is compatible with your thick wall.

I think the grid modules are probably the way to go. Nearly all grid ranges offer fuses and flex outlets.

Dual "Fastafix" type and 2 x FCU might be an option , you can get them (and other makes) in single, twin, dual and twin + single versions.

Twin + Single version shown below

1723220765140.png

DP switch, fuse module, flex outlet and blank plus a 4 mod front plate from BG Euro module range.

this is a recessed box intended for behind TV etc but a. You need a deep hole (and a thick enough wall to put the hole in!) and b. Deep pockets

Does the UK NOT have "Recessed" wall boxes
They aren't common.

I suspect one factor is that UK plugs are always "right angled" and relatively low profile. On the one hand this reduces the need for recessed wall boxes, and on the other hand means if you do have one it has to be quite large to avoid compatibility issues.

I suspect another factor is that a large proportion of UK walls are solid brick, which would make cutting a hole for such a thing a lot more effort.

We dont need them as our plug/socket combination is engineered correctly!!
Well our plug/socket arrangement is a right angle flex cord which I believe helps avoid pull out largely, probably leads to increased risk of socket contact area weakening slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back