ULEZ compliance anomalies

My 1964 Singer Gazelle is compliant and exempt from the charge. My 2001 Peugeot 406 is not. Not that I would ever drive to London, but I wonder if there's an exemption for 'classic cars'?

AFAIK, there is an exemption; over 40 yrs-old cars.

................compliant and exempt...................

A vehicle can be "exempt", yet be non-compliant with one or other requirement for exemption.

e.g. a shoite-spewing charabanc could (would?) be exempt by virtue of its "classic" status.
If the rules were on emissions alone, it would (may?) not be.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, there is an exemption; over 40 yrs-old cars.

A vehicle can be "exempt", yet be non-compliant with one or other requirement for exemption.

e.g. a shoite-spewing charabanc could (would?) be exempt by virtue of its "classic" status.
If the rules were on emissions alone, it would (may?) not be.
I figured there might be, same as the tax exemption period.

I know people through the 406 owners club who live in London. There are some who are now selling due to impending charges, and others who have found their cars are exempt -- all of them own the same 2.0 HDi engine. Seems like it's pot luck at the moment!

It is diesel, 2.2 CRDi 7 seat manual , euro4 but TFL says it's compliant, strange.

Is that because [Euro4 / 6] is a simplified and rough rule-of-thumb for the layperson, rather than an absolute requirement?

Or, it could just be a TfL coding error...........

Sponsored Links
I was having a discussion about ulez and said my old car-a 2007 diesel Hyundai Santa Fe was compliant, others said no, it's too old. So I checked it again, and it comes up as being ulez compliant. Punched a few reg numbers for similar cars for sale, even a newer 2012 model, and none are compliant. Strange.
I just tried an 07 plate Diesel Santa Fe Manual from Autotrader and it is ULEZ compliant. But the Auto is not.

The Santa Fe is a fantastic car, one that age could be picked up for not a huge amount. 7 seats as well, and not too bad on fuel.
It is very tempting, old enough to be cheap, but still ULEZ (and CAZ) compliant.

Sponsored Links
Back