upgrading heating control to smart - complete newbie!

Will try and grab a photo
And sorry, you haven't showed us behind this panel yet, either...
Screenshot_20231223-232923_Chrome.jpg
I suspect your new build had a ready built, pre-wired system installed - everything from the zone-valves to wiring centre was supplied ready mounted to the cylinder.
This makes for a much simplified install for the builders.
I am not familiar with the system, but there could possibly be a built-in wireless receiver, that would make installing the stats even simpler?

Edit:
Yes, "Pre-Plumbed"..

Screenshot_20231223-233912_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231223-234547_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i am thinking this is a 3 channel and can be replaced by a Wiser 3 channel controller to make the system smart

Could your original thermostats be controlled from your phone. Is that what you mean by smart?

It looks like ThermaQ are rebranded ESi. There seems to be two identical looking versions, both hardwired, one with smart/WiFi and the other without. TQX0070 and TQX0071.

But the installation guide for the WiFi version seems to contain a mistake. There is actually also a third RF wireless version, and the WiFi version guide seems to contain some of the installation instructions for the wireless one.

EDIT: There is yet another version, D5, non-programmable. I think this might be the one the OP has. May also come in a Volt Free version.

1703388601998.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
okey dokey , inside of my room thermostat, and that extra controller on cylinder
Ok, great, there's no extra logic going on in the cylinder wiring centre.

Behind the old backplate, (with power isolated), move the brown wire into terminal 5, along with the black wire.
Hopefully, your new stat should then have full control.

actually update, it does seem to turn on eventually, but only after i hit boost and then it doesn't turn off! :(

actually update, it does seem to turn on eventually, but only after i hit boost and then it doesn't turn off! :(
I believe the default boost duration is an hour on the Wiser.
Did you change the setting, or wait out the hour?

You need a bit of patience when testing the Wiser. The stat makes a call for heat to the hub but the hub does not respond immediately. It might take 10 minutes for the heating to come on. Also when the room reaches the required temperature the heating will stay on, often until the temperature overshoots the target by 0.4 degrees. There is a bit of inbuilt logic that might not seem logical at the time.

This may be a(nother) daft question, but do we actually need the room stats .
Theoretically couldn't we just either leave the heating full on and control everything thru trvs or just use the trvs to call the heat

The room stats are more accurate that the TRVs because the are mounted away from the heat source. If you have a room stat and a TRV in the same room the Wiser will ignore the temperature from the TRV and use the temperature from the room stat to control that TRV.

This may be a(nother) daft question, but do we actually need the room stats .
Theoretically couldn't we just either leave the heating full on and control everything thru trvs or just use the trvs to call the heat
The Wiser TRV's are not particularly accurate and can be even less accurate if hidden in corners or behind furniture. In such situations a Wiser room thermostat is ideal as it will take over room temperature measurement. Room thermostats are also good for rooms with more than one Wiser TRV.

Have tried to put the downstairs zone on and am getting absolutely no heat :(
Swapped the wiring as per the upstairs stat

Downstairs stat

Attachments

• 17038667133808358195147169714424.jpg
    17038667133808358195147169714424.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back