upgrading heating control to smart - complete newbie!

Have tried to put the downstairs zone on and am getting absolutely no heat :(
Swapped the wiring as per the upstairs stat
Have you connected the brown and black wires together at the downstairs thermostat?

Sponsored Links
If I have this right, you have bridged out both old stat backplates.
The upstairs zone works, but the downstairs doesn't?
Does the Hot water work with the Wiser?

My next troubleshooting step would be to bridge the connection to the downstairs zone on the Wiser backplate.
If the heating came on, that would narrow down the problem to the Wiser.

Can you show us your wiring of the backplate?

So my wiser says heating on, boiler and cylinder both make the right noise but no heat is being received in any of the rads.
All of them have wiser trvs on and I've tried every setting on them.
The system even comes on when i try adjusting the trv, but no heat.
Tried bleeding the rads and checked the pressure is 1.5 bar.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if you provided the information requested you might get some replies, otherwise we are working blind.

If I have this right, you have bridged out both old stat backplates.
The upstairs zone works, but the downstairs doesn't?
Does the Hot water work with the Wiser?

My next troubleshooting step would be to bridge the connection to the downstairs zone on the Wiser backplate.
If the heating came on, that would narrow down the problem to the Wiser.

Can you show us your wiring of the backplate?

The boiler is firing and making all the right noises.
All photos are in this thread

I can't see a photo of the wiring as you have now installed it to the Wiser 3 Channel backplate, only the original ESI backplate that has been replaced. I assume that is what @RandomGrinch means.

All photos are in this thread
As @stem says, you haven't shown us a photo of your wiring of the Wiser yet.

And at various points, you have said...
no, not calling for heat :(
actually update, it does seem to turn on eventually, but only after i hit boost and then it doesn't turn off! :(
Have tried to put the downstairs zone on and am getting absolutely no heat :(
Without telling us if any of our suggestions have worked.

And now you say..
So my wiser says heating on, boiler and cylinder both make the right noise but no heat is being received in any of the rads.
Again, as @stem says
Perhaps if you provided the information requested you might get some replies, otherwise we are working blind
It's hard for us to help you, and logically troubleshoot, wthout knowing if you have followed our advice.

So shall we try again, what exactly is and isn't working?

All of them have wiser trvs on and I've tried every setting on them.
My first step may be to remove a TRV from a rad in each zone, put each zone on separately, and see if the rads without TRVs warm up.

Which plates? I have changed wiring on 2 wall stats and a control unit.
Also was working other day until i replaced 2 non trv valves with trv's

Which plates?
you haven't shown us a photo of your wiring of the Wiser yet.
But as you go on to say...
Also was working other day until i replaced 2 non trv valves with trv's
That's the sort of important information that was missing!
At no point have you said the system was working correctly! :LOL:

Sounds like an issue in the setup of the app/system - and I'm afraid I'm out of my depth here.
Just a thought - I don't know if it's possible, but could the TRVs be linked to the wrong zone?

You could still try...
remove a TRV from a rad in each zone, put each zone on separately, and see if the rads without TRVs warm up.
As proof that the system is working correctly and the issue is with the setup of the TRVs.

So from what you have said the boiler is firing ok but the radiators don’t get hot. Do you have Wiser TRV’s on all radiators? If not do the non TRV radiators heat up?

Thanks, i will be trying your suggestions. Just as i was typing this, sitting on the loo (tmi) i tried turning on the loo rad and suddenly it chose to work.

Maybe I'm just using the whole system incorrectly.

Will get photos of as much wiring as i can.

I think my biggest issue is understanding the relationship between the room stats and the trvs.

I have 2 room stats. 1 in zone 1 upstairs and 1 in zone 2 downstairs.
I then only have 1 rad in each room which now all have trvs.
I'm never sure if i need to turn on stats as well as trv or if i can just control trv and leave stat down.

Also i know you obviously bleed rads, so cylinders need bleeding as well as when i refilled the other day it hissed air which I've never heard before?

Sorry lots of questions!

Thanks, i will be trying your suggestions. Just as i was typing this, sitting on the loo (tmi) i tried turning on the loo rad and suddenly it chose to work.

Maybe I'm just using the whole system incorrectly.

Will get photos of as much wiring as i can.

I think my biggest issue is understanding the relationship between the room stats and the trvs.

I have 2 room stats. 1 in zone 1 upstairs and 1 in zone 2 downstairs.
I then only have 1 rad in each room which now all have trvs.
I'm never sure if i need to turn on stats as well as trv or if i can just control trv and leave stat down.

Also i know you obviously bleed rads, so cylinders need bleeding as well as when i refilled the other day it hissed air which I've never heard before?

Sorry lots of questions!
If you have a Wiser room stat in a zone with one or more Wiser TRV’s then the room stat is in control. The TRV’s do what they are told by the room stat via the hub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back