VAT on education?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

When I was in education, education services were VAT exempt. Had always been that way. I believe it’s also the case for private medical operations. I imagine it will also be imposed on small private education providers, pupil referral units and awarding bodies too. Seems mad to me. Can’t Labour see that private education and healthcare relieve pressure on the state healthcare and education services? Is it just spite from a party that despises those that can afford to go private?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

When I was in education, education services were VAT exempt. Had always been that way. I believe it’s also the case for private medical operations. I imagine it will also be imposed on small private education providers, pupil referral units and awarding bodies too. Seems mad to me. Can’t Labour see that private education and healthcare relieve pressure on the state healthcare and education services? Is it just spite from a party that despises those that can afford to go private?
usual hypocrisy though with many of them having come through private education and sending their own kids to private schools

you mean before the EU forced it on us but the government chose to use 5% instead of the standard rate at the time
The Conservative government wanted to add VAT at the normal rate of 17.5%.
They were defeated in a Commons vote, and VAT was added at 8%.
Then the Labour government reduced it to 5%.
5% is the lowest tariff allowed under EU rules.

Thus, since Brexit the Tories have removed VAT from energy bills.........

Oh sorry, my mistake, they haven't and they've had 8 years to do it.

Additionally, removing VAT from energy bills is not suited as a targeted tactic for fuel poverty.

Last edited:
The Conservative government wanted to add VAT at the normal rate of 17.5%.
They were defeated in a Commons vote, and VAT was added at 8%.
Then the Labour government reduced it to 5%.
was it imposed by eu ? and it was a cross party opposition that kept it at 8% that it was introduced at on 1st of april 94 at with the proposal of rising to 17.5% in april 95 in line with eu policy to charge standard rates.
And thankfully labour went a stage further by lowering to the lowest the EU would allow

was it imposed by eu ? and it was a cross party opposition that kept it at 8% that it was introduced at on 1st of april 94 at with the proposal of rising to 17.5% in april 95 in line with eu policy to charge standard rates.
And thankfully labour went a stage further by lowering to the lowest the EU would allow
It was at 0% until about 1997.
UK had been in EU since 1973.
I'm confident that UK could have argued to retain the 0%, if they wished.
The Tories wanted to introduce it at 17.5%, but were defeated in a commons motion. So 8% was an agreed amount,

It was a EU policy to charge at whatever the member nation wanted to charge above 5%.

WRONG

private education has massively increased its fees over recent years as it increasingly caters for foreign students as they can make more money from them

private schools should benefit from charitable status when they are actually profit making businesses

WRONG

private education has massively increased its fees over recent years as it increasingly caters for foreign students as they can make more money from them

private schools should benefit from charitable status when they are actually profit making businesses
shouldn't

usual hypocrisy though with many of them having come through private education and sending their own kids to private schools
"many of them"

not many of them at all, in fact only about 15%

Most state-educated MPs ever in House of Commons​

About two thirds of new Parliament thought to have gone to comprehensive school, as Labour plans private schools VAT raid

Why should the more well off benefit from a tax break when the majority don't...

Surely the aim should be to bring state education up to the standard of private education!

Oh, and before anyone claims 'class war', I spent 5 years in a private school - via a scholarship when they existed as they did back then...

Left when I worked out that the 'elite way of life' wasn't for me :)

Oh, and before anyone claims 'class war', I spent 5 years in a private school - via a scholarship when they existed as they did back then...
So you were educated in a private school that wasn’t subject to vat but think private education should now be taxable?
Left when I worked out that the 'elite way of life' wasn't for me :)
And that took you 5 years to work out - were you particularly thick? Did you leave before you took any exams or did you take and fail them?

Sponsored Links
Back