Vehicles reporting data back to base

I'm pretty certain that's not possible. If it were, we wouldn't have any police chases, and they wouldn't need to box people in or deploy stingers and road blocks.

Unless you're driving round on false plates, they still have ANPR cameras all over the road network, so they can track cars on most major routes. Unless you use cash for every transaction, they'll know where and when your card was used. New cars from about 2016 all have "e-call", which constantly monitors the car's position and if you have a crash bad enough to trigger an airbag, it will report your GPS location to the emergency services.
Hi A,
I think you'll find that they can, and earlier, I said that once they do there will be quite an uprest.

Of course I realise what you are saying, but if I go out to country lanes, and find a footpath, I feel free if I'm 'lost'. I know I can switch my phone on and 'they' can check where I am but that's a choice on the day.
C

Sponsored Links
Hi A,
I think you'll find that they can, and earlier, I said that once they do there will be quite an uprest.

No, they really they can't. (I work in the car industry). As I've said before, if they could, why do they waste time and resource chasing them? Can you point me to a single example of a police force remotely stopping a car? It is technically possible for cars that can receive over-the-air commands. As early as 2013, hackers managed to hack a Jeep and take control of it remotely, but manufacturers have upped their game on cybersecurity since then.

Of course I realise what you are saying, but if I go out to country lanes, and find a footpath, I feel free if I'm 'lost'. I know I can switch my phone on and 'they' can check where I am but that's a choice on the day.
C

That's fine. Enjoy!

No, they really they can't. (I work in the car industry). As I've said before, if they could, why do they waste time and resource chasing them? Can you point me to a single example of a police force remotely stopping a car? It is technically possible for cars that can receive over-the-air commands. As early as 2013, hackers managed to hack a Jeep and take control of it remotely, but manufacturers have upped their game on cybersecurity since then.

That's fine. Enjoy!
Hi A,
As I said I doubt that they would use it as it would cause an outcry, but I just had a quick look up and found this, which looks similar to what I heard.
I think it jams the vehicle, a bit like 'switch off phones' when flying.
C

Around 5% of all vehicles are not taxed or insured so I think ANPR is a great tool for plod to use

Sponsored Links
Hi A,
As I said I doubt that they would use it as it would cause an outcry, but I just had a quick look up and found this, which looks similar to what I heard.
I think it jams the vehicle, a bit like 'switch off phones' when flying.
C

Was there suppose dto be a link there?

Hi A,
Yes, here: https://www.theengineer.co.uk/conte...ce-can-disable-car-and-boat-engines-from-50m/
I thought it was more specific than a general jamming device, and it's got to be serious for them ever to use it.
C.

That's just a transmitter sending out a massive electromagnetic pulse of interference. It would stop anything within range, built since about the mid 1980s (petrol, diesel or EV) - including the police car!

Car manufacturers test to United Nations ECE Regulation 10 for electromagnetic compatibility. The car gets bombarded with a broad band of electromagnetic interference and mustn't malfunction on any of its safety-critical systems. Most major manufacturers test to between 2 and 3x the required minimum limit for immunity. Now obviously, if you had a powerful enough transmitter, you certainly COULD take a car out with such a device, but as you say, they're completely indiscriminate. You couldn't target just a particular rogue vehicle with one and stop it, while leaving the others to go about their business.

That's just a transmitter sending out a massive electromagnetic pulse of interference. It would stop anything within range, built since about the mid 1980s (petrol, diesel or EV) - including the police car!

Car manufacturers test to United Nations ECE Regulation 10 for electromagnetic compatibility. The car gets bombarded with a broad band of electromagnetic interference and mustn't malfunction on any of its safety-critical systems. Most major manufacturers test to between 2 and 3x the required minimum limit for immunity. Now obviously, if you had a powerful enough transmitter, you certainly COULD take a car out with such a device, but as you say, they're completely indiscriminate. You couldn't target just a particular rogue vehicle with one and stop it, while leaving the others to go about their business.
Hi A,
Targetting would rely on a specific antenna, e,g, yagi or dish, depending on the frequencies.
C

How many ridiculous, pointless ways he we find to over complicate our lives while surrendering our privacy and freedoms? People just go along with it.
Do you have any evidence that these systems in cars are causing us to surrender privacy and freedoms (other than freedom to break laws, which is actually a good thing)?

The UK is considering adopting the regulation, but whether it does or not, any UK car that is built to the same spec as one that is sold in the EU, will probably have that system anyway.
I wonder if we will adopt the regulation which will allow ICEVs to continue to be made and sold after 2035 as long as they can only run on carbon-neutral fuel.

I wonder if we will adopt the regulation which will allow ICEVs to continue to be made and sold after 2035 as long as they can only run on carbon-neutral fuel.

Is that an EU regulation?

The big problem with synthetic fuel, is auditing it. And of course, if it's biofuel, we then have the competition for land use between food and fuel.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back