Vehicles reporting data back to base

I have looked at the title.

But I'm not so thick that I conflate "vehicles sending data back to base" and "surrendering privacy and freedoms".

It seems that some people are.

Sponsored Links
Many cars, even my iPhone will report your location to the emergency services if you fail to answer them when it senses an accident. A few years ago, one of us on an off-road bike trip in Spain on hired bikes, hit a tree stump in the middle of a forest and came off. As we were helping him up, we could hear someone talking in Spanish coming from his bike. We had a Spanish speaker with us and he told her we were all okay, no assistance needed. If you have one of those systems, they know where you are!

Many cars, even my iPhone will report your location to the emergency services if you fail to answer them when it senses an accident. A few years ago, one of us on an off-road bike trip in Spain on hired bikes, hit a tree stump in the middle of a forest and came off. As we were helping him up, we could hear someone talking in Spanish coming from his bike. We had a Spanish speaker with us and he told her we were all okay, no assistance needed. If you have one of those systems, they know where you are!
Hi M,
The car does have this system, and I'm not sure it will work, considering that I have not connected. Perhaps the emergency system will over ride my settings?
C

Sponsored Links
Hi M,
The car does have this system, and I'm not sure it will work, considering that I have not connected. Perhaps the emergency system will over ride my settings?
C
My friend hadn’t connected to the bike on the Spain trip but it definitely worked. If they are reporting positions, it must be connected…..somehow! A Range Rover we had could connect to Landrover Assistance without going through a mobile connection and you could report a breakdown. Now I think of it, when I called the AA a few years ago with a breakdown, they said "it’s okay, we can see that you are in a lay-by on the A127”. It's frightening what they can do without you knowing or giving permission.

My friend hadn’t connected to the bike on the Spain trip but it definitely worked. If they are reporting positions, it must be connected…..somehow!
Hi M,
Yes, I'm sure 'they' can connect when they want really, but hopefully won't till there's a good reason?
C

Hi,
Let's stay as friendly as we can :cool:
I'll stay perfectly friendly to people who don't call me a thicko for recognising that cars sending telemetry data back to base isn't "surrendering privacy and freedoms".

It seems as though what you said might hold the answer to your original question

Does anyone know how true this is, and if it's invasive, like location data etc. Also is there a way of disconnecting it, so it can be made a private vehicle.
Cheers, Camerart

As mentioned here, I on startup, I get asked whether I want to share my location with base: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/vehicles-reporting-data-ack-to-base.630560/post-5833796
C.

Do you know if the "location sharing" is a constant real-time stream, or just a one-off transmission if you press the assistance button or if sensors detect an accident?

Is the information retained, i.e. can they keep a record of where you've been and when?

Do they know who YOU are, or just where the vehicle is?

Sponsored Links
Back