What have you been doing today?

Osprey update, Lewis, one of the team watching the nest climbed up and fed the chicks by hand as mum watched from another branch, left some mackerel for mum and set up a high bird table with fish, some think dad may have had an encounter with a Golden Eagle as one has been seen near the nest
Daddy Osprey returned this morning with a headless trout, the theory is he may have been ill as his fish count was dropping before he went missing

Sponsored Links
Staying in the Tawny Hotel for our anniversary weekend. Beautiful old country country gardens that now have various cabins, etc dotted around. View from the restaurant of the estate;
IMG_2694.jpeg

Doesn’t do it justice.

Staying in the Tawny Hotel for our anniversary weekend. Beautiful old country country gardens that now have various cabins, etc dotted around. View from the restaurant of the estate;
View attachment 347611

Doesn’t do it justice.
Looks lovely but if I stayed there, I think I’d be the number one gnat magnet! I’m still looking for somewhere nice for our anniversary weekend - and it’s next weekend!

Sponsored Links
Looks lovely but if I stayed there, I think I’d be the number one gnat magnet! I’m still looking for somewhere nice for our anniversary weekend - and it’s next weekend!
Bit of a trek for you Mottie (near Alton Towers) but I’ve never stayed anywhere like this. Worth a google to see if Mrs Mottie fancies it.

If you want something special

I think its room no.2 it's the first room pictured on the rooms tab.

Stayed in this room for my wife's 60th and it was perfect food, service, spar, pool etc ever so special.

Managed to get hold of some pucka glyphosate from my mums shed. Been having an afternoon of mixing and spraying.

Did my spraying a couple of months ago, followed it up with a second go last week, to tackle what I had missed the first time.

We've been doing the pointing today, following up on the grinding out I did yesterday. Around a 3 metres square. Avril mixed, I pointed, then Avril finished off by doing the 'weather struck'.

Had to go with Mrs Mottie to her mums house to meet with an estate agent. Her brother had it valued by an estate agent a few months back and a friend of ours who was looking for a house in that area for around that price had looked at it and even though it was above his budget, is due to go back for a second look on Monday night. I must say, we didn’t approach him to buy it - he heard about us getting it valued from another friend and approached us. Mrs Motties brother and sister wanted her to get another valuation just to compare against the first one. Today’s estate agent (who has been in the area since 1980) reckons he can sell it for certainly £50k more than the previous valuation and possibly up to £75k more. We know our friend can’t go that high so we've now got to tell him before he comes back on Monday. Our first priority though is getting the best price for her mother’s ongoing care but still, we feel really awkward about it.

Last edited:
Had to go with Mrs Mottie to her mums house to meet with an estate agent. Her brother had it valued by an estate agent a few months back and a friend of ours who was looking for a house in that area for around that price had looked at it and even though it was above his budget, is due to go back for a second look on Monday night. I must say, we didn’t approach him to buy it - he heard about us getting it valued from another friend and approached us. Mrs Motties brother and sister wanted her to get another valuation just to compare against the first one. Today’s estate agent (who has been in the area since 1980) reckons he can sell it for certainly £50k more than the previous valuation and possibly up to £75k more. We know our friend can’t go that high so we've now got to tell him before he comes back on Monday. Our first priority though is getting the best price for her mother’s ongoing care but still, we feel really awkward about it.
Just tell him it's been values at xxx by an agent.. Agents are usually after a quick sale, the market will always stand more in my exp, even stupidly high, if there's anything unique about the place. Don't believe any of their BS that you should go for middling price and "the market will find the right level". You only need one buyer. Start high high.
I was told by an EA that if I went 40k higher I'd have to wait months. I asked him how long it would take him to earn 40k. No answer so I followed up that I wouldn't be doing any hard work in the meantime, unlike him, driving round in that little car of his.
The MIL's place was one in a terrace, but needed gutting. It sold for 5k less than one which had had all the work done. Silly.

the market will always stand more in my exp, even stupidly high, if there's anything unique about the place
That was what he said - the house is a 4 bed detached but has a front and side extension plus a bigger garden than others in the close as it’s a corner plot plus a few years ago the people that bought the house that backs on to hers that has really large gardens approached her and asked if she wanted to buy a piece of their garden which she snapped up. I’m thinking the first agent undervalued it.

A bit of harvesting over the allotment - got some new potatoes, mint, courgettes, beetroot, lettuce and mixed radish.

IMG_1906.jpeg

Haven't done so well with the strawberries though. From 12 plants, this is my total crop so far!

IMG_1908.jpeg

Had the kids and grandkids round for dinner and the football. A good day in all only spoiled by my son chucking a wet wipe down the downstairs bog and blocking the macerator! There’s a job for tomorrow!

Yesterday, we were doing 3m square of pointing on the utility room wall, today, we got up early, to take a walk to a local car boot sale. Around lunchtime, we decided to finish off the odd few bits of pointing, widely scattered around the main house walls. We just managed it, with a single small mix of mortar.

Struggling with a blocked kitchen drain which eventually succumbed to some gentle persuasion with a pressure washer. Now the kitchen sink empties ultra rapidly!

Trying to work out my drainage system...

See post in Plumbing if you are interested.

Sponsored Links
Back