Why does metal smell of metal?

Igorian said:
Damocles said:
Does that mean that chrome is not reactive enough to dissolve when I lick it, or that it just tastes of nothing much?

P.S.

Why are you licking your screwdriver :eek:

cause he is Damocles why else?

Sponsored Links
If you take two dissimilar metals you can make a voltaic pile with your tongue.

1) take a piece of aluminium foil, fold it over a couple of times and place it under your tongue and sticking out of the front of your mouth.

2) take a piece of stainless steel cutlery and place it on top of your tongue.

3) Now touch the outside-your-mouth ends together.

Great fun! :LOL:

piece of aluminium foil and roll a small piece up to put in you mouth, move it about untill you have it between an upper and lower filling and bite hard-----------sheer agony as the eletricity between the fillings from the nerves short out on each other.

By the way did you know the stain left by blood on your clothes is actually the iron in your blood oxidising as it drys

Freddie said:
piece of aluminium foil and roll a small piece up to put in you mouth, move it about untill you have it between an upper and lower filling and bite hard-----------sheer agony as the eletricity between the fillings from the nerves short out on each other.

Imagine having a gold filling (jacket?) next to a normal filling. Months of enjoyment!

Freddie said:
By the way did you know the stain left by blood on your clothes is actually the iron in your blood oxidising as it drys

Sure we do. That's why doctors check your iron level by taking a blood sample ;)

Sponsored Links
Octopods have green blood cos instead of iron-rich haemoglobin they have copper rich cyanoglobin.

So, octopus blood stains would be green, nice!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: D'oh, octopus blood (like the blood of many molluscs) is in fact blue, and their oxygen-carrying compound is called haemocyanin. Sorry for this double whammy of incorrectness. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wood is quite correct that Vulcans have green blood. I was watching an episode of "Enterprise" the other day where T'Pol got cut and it was a deep green colour :D

AdamW said:
Octopods have green blood cos instead of iron-rich haemoglobin they have copper rich cyanoglobin.

So, octopus blood stains would be green, nice!

Blue, same as spiders, same number of "legs" as well, I'm on to something !

Damn, you corrected me as I was correcting myself! 9:48 on both counts! (see my post above. See that? Edited 9:48! Great minds and such I guess)

Mollusc blood is very different to ours. They don't have red blood cells, and it isn't cos they have blue ones instead. Haemocyanin is carried freely around in the blood stream rather than being carried on red blood cells. :idea:

Another, slightly off topic thing to note, if you get take 3 cups of boiling water, add a few teaspoons of salt to one, a few teaspoons of sugar to another, and nothing to the last one, it is not possible to tell the difference by smell alone, enthalpies of vapourisation etc etc. However, if you take two cups of hot coffee or tea, and add sugar to one, then you can smell the difference. Obviously some kind of reaction, or catalysation occuring.

By the same token you can't be smelling the metal, as it's enthalpy of vapourisation must be way too high, must be a reaction between your sweat and metal, I would guess.

AdamW said:
Wood is quite correct that Vulcans have green blood.:D

So do predators, in fact fluorescent green, ok, working at home, watched Alien v Predator today, must be a mid life crisis :LOL:

Eddie M said:
Another, slightly off topic thing to note, if you get take 3 cups of boiling water, add a few teaspoons of salt to one, a few teaspoons of sugar to another, and nothing to the last one, it is not possible to tell the difference by smell alone, enthalpies of vapourisation etc etc. However, if you take two cups of hot coffee or tea, and add sugar to one, then you can smell the difference. Obviously some kind of reaction, or catalysation occuring.

By the same token you can't be smelling the metal, as it's enthalpy of vapourisation must be way too high, must be a reaction between your sweat and metal, I would guess.

Surpose i better tell you-------the smell from metal is the reaction from the metal and the air ( oxygen ) and also charged particles have some part to play in it.

Some metals react more than others with the air, so you can smell some but not others.

I would have thought that the E of V for most metallic oxides (which are solids) would be too high as well. For instance you can't smell dry rust :?:

Eddie M said:
I would have thought that the E of V for most metallic oxides (which are solids) would be too high as well. For instance you can't smell dry rust :?:

But a solid piece of metal would cause minute condensation with the air unless they were exactly the same temp.

Who goes round smelling rust dry or wet ?????????

Sponsored Links
Back