Worried about my plumbers competence

Are you pished? The picture I've just quoted was ctp's install. I was asking him a question about it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
if you doubted your plumbers ability ytour taking a long time to out him.

So on the one hand I'm bad because I'm daring to question what has been done by a 'professional' and it's not fair that he's getting this criticism behind his back, and I'm also bad because I've taken care not to name him in a public forum.

I've taken care not to name him because it looked like quite a common name to me. Gas Safe tell me there are fifteen registered people with the same name. At least fourteen of them don't deserve to be associated with the pictures here.

I have tried hard to be fair to the man. I bent over backwards to give opportunities to put things right. I overlooked the fact that he lied to me about condensate (I was planning to redo it internal myself when he'd cleared off). When I first noticed and asked him about the arrow on the Fernox he lied to me again and I decided I'd fix it myself when he cleared off. I was unhappy about the messy install, but I was worried about the pump running continuously. So I started this thread.

I was advised multiple times in the thread to kick him off the job before I insisted with the builder that I wanted things re-worked. Still I didn't insist the plumber be sacked. I accepted that he would do the re-working.

I didn't even insist the plumber be sacked when he told me explicitly that the expansion relief valve was not a relief valve and could not discharge water under any circumstance, just before it discharged water all up the back of the cupboard.

I sacked him at the point he installed an unvented cylinder with no useful expansion vessel and told me it was a complete and safe install. Do you really think I should sit back and say nothing when a 'professional' installs an unvented cylinder with no expansion vessel? It's OK to do that if a professional does it, is it? Or do you think I've photoshopped all these pictures as some sort of bizarre vendetta against someone I'm taking care not to identify in public?

I think I've gone way beyond any reasonable measure of giving the man a fair chance to sort things out.

You will also recall what started the thread - I didn't say anything like 'this imbecilic cretin has done it all wrong', I said (and this is a direct quote "maybe I'm wrong and he's right, so I'd welcome views about how concerned I should be".

The answer was actually, about ten times as concerned as I already was at that point.

the problem is the bulder NOT the plumber..he is managing the site, and the plumber is a subcontractor..

But you naively trust the builder, who probably knows nothing about plumbing but not the plumber..ok the plumber may not be very eloquent, but the builder is reponsible for his sub contractor..

So take it up with the builder who is clearly manipulating you..stop picking on trades inappropriately...

Sponsored Links
Do you really think I should sit back and say nothing when a 'professional' installs an unvented cylinder with no expansion vessel?

Just to be clear - because I do take care to be fair to people - it's not a rant directed at easyflow singular 'you', but to the plural 'you' being all those that think the ignorant punter should stay ignorant and silent, even when the 'professional' is being potentially lethally incompetent.

If whoever turns up to fix it also connects the combined inlet group with the expansion vessel on the balanced pressure cold port then yes I will question it. Who really thinks I should instead let it ride?

t
But you naively trust the builder, who probably knows nothing about plumbing but not the plumber..ok the plumber may not be very eloquent, but the builder is reponsible for his sub contractor..

Just to be very clear here. The plumber has told me this is a complete and safe install. Should I believe him?

I'm not trusting the builder, I'm trusting my ability to read simple clear instructions.

well I dont think you are being fair... its the builder who is ultimately responsible for what happens under his contract....but he knows that few of his customers do not have the knowledge to question what the heating engineer does...so he pays scant attention to that part of the process...

it really is the builder you should get to sort this out...

achrn>>>>> I don't think you need to justify yourself. By the sound of it, you have been fair, fairer than many would have been, and given the plumber opportunities to redeem himself.

He can't or won't, so rightly he is down the road. With a big project like this, and the sums involved you have wisely sought the impartial opinions of others who do this type of work day in, day out. More importantly are the safety issues and the potentally hazardous state of this 'plumber's' work. As you say, the fitter is anonymous, so doesn't need to defend himself

I'm afraid someone on here is playing devil's advocate. Why? Who knows? Probably best ignored.

Are you pished? The picture I've just quoted was ctp's install. I was asking him a question about it. :rolleyes:
Yes it is ,its polypropylene pipe stamped with bs 5254 and is approved for d2 discharge pipes .

You shouldnt be appeoaching the plumber at all, he works for your mate the builder...

He probably knows that few of his clients care about plumbing and heating sufficiently to worry about the finer points, so sub contracts to the cheapest, meanwhile the builder charges handsomely for plumbing and you thnk we are expensive, yet on our backs builders do very well.. they are long since gone when plumbing and heating problems appear..

What ever you do keep a BIG retention from your mate, it can fund sorting out this mess..

achrn, I agree with Alec1.

your builder is the man you need to direct your thoughts at. its him who pick the Muppet and it will be him that needs to get it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back