1st Labour Tory blow up

define "standard"
define "wage"

these terms have no meaning on a person's tax.
Let's take xyz Ltd, a business.

It employs 1000 people of various levels, who are all paid a fixed salary or a wage of £xx per hour.

Each month or week their remuneration is paid directly to their bank and they receive a wage slip with details of their payment and deductions.

Are you such an employee?

Sponsored Links
No I think its you that doesn't understand income tax.

I've already told you I'm paid PAYE. Yes I get a payslip. I am not paid by the hour, nor is my pay fixed.

I guarantee MBK puts loads of stuff through “expenses”
Are you suggesting my tax returns are not accurate?

I claim expenses for legitimate business expenses. Hotels, flights, car parking etc. related to my business expense. In what way should these be treated as income.

Sponsored Links
No I think its you that doesn't understand income tax.

I've already told you I'm paid PAYE. Yes I get a payslip. I am not paid by the hour, nor is my pay fixed.
I understand ok.

I understand the difference between a standard employee and not, too.

Ok, lets see where we get to on your concept of Standard Employee...

Bob is a car salesman working for XBC Second Hand Cars Limited.
His contract states 37.5 hours per week minimum - he sometimes does more, but is not paid by the hour (subject to minimum wage law)
His basic pay is £25,000 per year
His variable pay is 1% commission.

Bob Sells 50 cars per year avg £25,000

Bob's total pay is £37,500
He pays 5% pension and his employer matches this.
Bob pays around 7k in Tax and NI

Bob pays 18.7% of his income in tax.

Is Bob a "Standard" Employee?

You are just swerving around.

Are you a directly paid standard employee? Or ir35 type contractor. Or via an umbrella company etc? Or any other legal system?

Were you given the job at £x pa and are paid via wage slip with all deductions made for you by your employer?

Ok, lets see where we get to on your concept of Standard Employee...

Bob is a car salesman working for XBC Second Hand Cars Limited.
His contract states 37.5 hours per week minimum - he sometimes does more, but is not paid by the hour (subject to minimum wage law)
His basic pay is £25,000 per year
His variable pay is 1% commission.

Bob Sells 50 cars per year avg £25,000

Bob's total pay is £37,500
He pays 5% pension and his employer matches this.
Bob pays around 7k in Tax and NI

Bob pays 18.7% of his income in tax.

Is Bob a "Standard" Employee?
Sounds like he is a standard employee to me

just like me.
You claim you have benefited from exporting goods to the the EU Vat free and therefore Brexit is a benefit to you. French flagging boats so you could save half the Vat.

You have also saved Vat by getting rid of some EU employees, you claimed.

Standard employee my arse.

I don't believe a word he says tbh.

World leading captain of business. A better lawyer than those of the royal family. Has time to be a boat captain and is a standard employee, posting on a DIY forum.

Yes, I believe every word .

I'm a non standard employee(self employed) so I'm fully aware of the difference.

You claim you have benefited from exporting goods to the the EU Vat free and therefore Brexit is a benefit to you. French flagging boats so you could save half the Vat.

You have also saved Vat by getting rid of some EU employees, you claimed.

Standard employee my arse.

I don't believe a word he says tbh.

World leading captain of business. A better lawyer than those of the royal family. Has time to be a boat captain and is a standard employee, posting on a DIY forum.

Yes, I believe every word .

I'm a non standard employee(self employed) so I'm fully aware of the difference.
Dumb and dumber's mate seem extremely confused. Just because neither of you can do it, doesn't mean others can't.

@carmanmemoranda - Self Employed is Self Employed, if you are self employed you are not an employee, standard or non standard. Your are a service provider. You make up terms, expect others to understand them and get upset when people don't understand you.

@denso13 - you weren't paying attention. You are confusing two entirely different VAT reduction/exemption schemes and I suspect you have zero upstanding of the challenges of operating business in more than one country.

I have never French flagged a boat, due to Brexit to save VAT, that is ridiculous
I have never terminated EU employees, to save VAT, that would be nonsese

I have pre-brexit, French flagged vessels under a purchase for charter scheme and saved 50% VAT
I have post-brexit, exported vessels VAT free to the EU.
I have replaced EU workers with UK workers for various reasons. However, that will come to an end when Labour changes the employment laws
You are just swerving around.

Are you a directly paid standard employee? Or ir35 type contractor. Or via an umbrella company etc? Or any other legal system?

Were you given the job at £x pa and are paid via wage slip with all deductions made for you by your employer?
Its your understanding that is flawed, not mine.

You assume that employees can't have variable pay - its wrong
You assume that off-payroll workers are non-standard employees - its wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know what started this interrogation of motorbiking's employment status, I haven't followed this thread.
But it appears to me to be an unfair intrusive questioning of his employment status. If I were he, I'd tell y'all to mind your own business. It's his personal details and you have no moral right, nor authority to persist in asking for his personal details.

It's perfectly fair and understandable to discuss tax matters, and how different people are paid, but to insist that others reveal their personal details is grossly intrusive.

Sponsored Links
Back