Build, build, build.

There is another factor that doesn't get much of a mention. Being tough on crime. Popular subject for politicians, I have heard that increasing sentencing levels really kicked in under Major and has become a popular method.
Initial results over crowding now no more places.

One interesting graphic popped up in a report. Numbers intended to be built and what was actually built. That was way way short of the target.
So, not building prisons, as mbk suggested, is not the answer, as the Tories proved.

Sponsored Links
Mbk is trying to suggest different. He said..... Rather than build more prisons, perhaps we should look at the source of crime.

Children in care, for example. Inadequate schools and social services. Mental health. Servicemen discharged unfit to cope with civillian life.

Interestingly, in an attempt to discourage large families, Conservative government had policies that increase child poverty.

"It’s bad enough that prisoners will be set free after serving only 40 per cent of their sentence; it’s even worse that the usual time served is only 50 per cent, and that a crippled probation service may not be able to offer adequate risk assessments or supervision.

Britain is close to failing on a fundamental duty of every democratic government: to protect citizens from crime, and give them swift redress if their rights are breached. Justice is not being done when court backlogs delay some cases for years, and some litigants have to represent themselves because legal aid cuts have gone too far. Justice is denied when people who are found innocent cannot recoup the legal costs of their defence; and when a new generation of barristers turn away from criminal law because of woefully low fees."

FT.com

There is another factor that doesn't get much of a mention. Being tough on crime.
Criminals plan to not be detected and not caught.
I fail to see how more serious penalties will deter those that think they will 'get away with it'.
Has the removal of hanging as a punishment deterred murder?

The Torygraph is reporting the new government is planning to reduce compensation to landowners whose land is CPO'd for housing.. I think that means removing "hope value" . The other way to look at it is the French approach which is to pay 50% extra compensation to speed delivery of the process.

Sponsored Links
How would you feel if the council wanted to buy your house and pay you 50% of its value because some developer had created a town plan that puts high rise apartments where your house currently is?

Are they going to sell you one of the apartments 1/2 price to compensate.

New old new Labour - steeling people's land - good job week 3

How would you feel if the council wanted to buy your house and pay you 50% of its value because some developer had created a town plan that puts high rise apartments where your house currently is?

To me it's all about finding a reasonable balance. I recall watching a tv prog a few years back about a massive infrastructure project in China, tbh I can't recall if it was rail, road or something else. However what I do remember is the government decided it was needed, and needed relatively quickly. All systems go, property/land compulsory purchased, practically zero public input or influence. It was happening, so deal with it.

The end result was within a few years the project was delivered. Job done. Winners and losers? No doubt. But job done, and quickly.

Obviously not for one sec am I suggesting we need that approach in the UK. However there is a feeling that we're perhaps too far the other way. We decide something's needed and x years later it's either hardly started or shelved altogether due to protests, bureaucracy, nimbyism or a combo of.

The end result? We're stagnating in some areas. We're getting nowhere fast.

So when it comes to things like house building, if we've to take the brakes off and get moving, will there be winners and losers? Yes. And if any of us end up in the loser camp, it 100% sucks. However with any major project/strategy, not everyone wins. That's life.

Having said all that, when it comes to things like compulsory purchase, a true market value should be paid.

Is that any different from blighting land for decades with the 'intention' of building a new railway?

Were you forced to sell your house at 50% of its value so others could benefit?

If you were - I suspect you were the victim of fraud. Fraudsters target the old and infirm.

"The Conservatives released 10,000 prisoners early to ease the jail capacity crisis, according to figures released ahead of the new Labour government setting out more drastic steps to reduce the prison population.

Figures published by the Ministry of Justice on Friday revealed the number of prisoners let out between October 17 and June 30 under the End of Custody Supervised Licence scheme.

The ECSL scheme enabled certain prisoners to be released a maximum of 18 days prior to their release date. This expanded to 35 days in March and 70 days from May onwards.

The scheme applied to prisoners who had served at least 50 per cent of their sentence. Justice secretary Shabana Mahmood is set to say on Friday that the government will go further and allow the release of some offenders who have served 40 per cent of their sentence, in an effort to free up capacity."

FT.com
Now apparently Labour policy..

To me it's all about finding a reasonable balance. I recall watching a tv prog a few years back about a massive infrastructure project in China, tbh I can't recall if it was rail, road or something else. However what I do remember is the government decided it was needed, and needed relatively quickly. All systems go, property/land compulsory purchased, practically zero public input or influence. It was happening, so deal with it.

The end result was within a few years the project was delivered. Job done. Winners and losers? No doubt. But job done, and quickly.

Obviously not for one sec am I suggesting we need that approach in the UK. However there is a feeling that we're perhaps too far the other way. We decide something's needed and x years later it's either hardly started or shelved altogether due to protests, bureaucracy, nimbyism or a combo of.

The end result? We're stagnating in some areas. We're getting nowhere fast.

So when it comes to things like house building, if we've to take the brakes off and get moving, will there be winners and losers? Yes. And if any of us end up in the loser camp, it 100% sucks. However with any major project/strategy, not everyone wins. That's life.

Having said all that, when it comes to things like compulsory purchase, a true market value should be paid.
Indeed. Plenty of Surveyors are qualified to give independant valuations.

The above model is very open to corruption. Labour could target all the new LibDem constituencies for compulsory purchase and then simply re-list the property having cancelled the plan to develop.

Indeed. Plenty of Surveyors are qualified to give independant valuations.

The above model is very open to corruption. Labour could target all the new LibDem constituencies for compulsory purchase and then simply re-list the property having cancelled the plan to develop.

Like Tory HS2.

Yes, Tory policy was to send more people to prisons than they will hold, and to let some of the excess out early. So now somebody has to deal with the problem they created.

Add it to the list.

Yes, Tory policy was to send more people to prisons than they will hold, and to let some of the excess out early. So now somebody has to deal with the problem they created.

Add it to the list.

It's about paying a fair price for land at its current valuation. Not paying inflated prices for what it could be worth at some point in the future.

Same as the Tories recently legislated for.

Sponsored Links
Back