Building control firm liquidation

Sponsored Links
Ajstoneservices: Sounds like you were lucky to be able to get the records. PWC have now changed their website to say that all of their cases will be cancelled and every customer will now have to make a new regularisation application to the LA BC. No suggestion of supplying records. This suggests to me we are going to have to open up foundations, insulation, steel work etc. all after UFH, plastering, decorating, flooring, kitchen etc are fitted. Devastating and expensive doesn’t even cut it.

Despite having the survey reports and inspection photos CNC have said we may have to expose foundations and parts of the structure. As you say, expensive and stressful but we have dealt with worse.

All the best with yours.

Never use private building control firms, unless you're bodging everything and know a corrupt private building inspector.
Many builders down my way refuse to use council BC to bodge extensions claiming they're slow when in fact they're very efficient and fair.
I attended many finished buildings where even a blind building inspector would've spotted the many problems.
On a couple of builds the dpc was below ground and on one it was missing altogether.
Owners only realised when damp started eating the walls.
I've only ever used BC for my and my customers peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Never use private building control firms, unless you're bodging everything and know a corrupt private building inspector.
Many builders down my way refuse to use council BC to bodge extensions claiming they're slow when in fact they're very efficient and fair.
I attended many finished buildings where even a blind building inspector would've spotted the many problems.
On a couple of builds the dpc was below ground and on one it was missing altogether.
Owners only realised when damp started eating the walls.
I've only ever used BC for my and my customers peace of mind.
That's true

There is no advantage for clients on domestic or small jobs. The only advantage is for the builder - who are typically in cahoots with the inspector hence recommend them to clients.

And if anyone thinks (rightly or wrongly) that council inspectors don't do much, well private inspectors do even less.

Thanks for your thoughts re private inspectors, we just went with advice given at the time. Unfortunately it is retrospective now and can’t go back in time to change it. Trying to understand our way forward rather than looking back.

We had a private firm go South during one of our jobs earlier this year. Luckily I take loads of photos, so it was no biggie when LABC picked up the batten.
It was just 'completion' we were waiting on. All signed off.

Hi,

we are building (have built) a single story extension and are awaiting final inspection to sign off building regs. We have been using PWC building control as a private firm to do this. They have been very difficult get hold of the last couple of months and we had an email from them on Friday to say they are going into liquidation. We have had them round for periodic inspections at key times but have had no paperwork from them throughout the process. They are now not answering any calls or emails. They have not filed for liquidation with companies house, they have not passed there cases to the local authorities, neither RIBA nor BRS have been informed by PWC they are liquidating.

My questions to the community
1) is anyone else using PWC? What’s your current experience? How are you proceeding?
2) has anyone had this experience of building control firm just stopping work and decided to suck up costs and go to Regularisation? I know this will involve intrusive work to demonstrate to LA. Can anyone share what intrusive work was required?

Thanks
Hi,

We are going through a similar situation with PWC. I tried to speak to the owner of the company and he told me that they can’t offer a certificate because they have gone into liquidation. He said the only solution is to contact the local authority.

Thanks

That's true

There is no advantage for clients on domestic or small jobs. The only advantage is for the builder - who are typically in cahoots with the inspector hence recommend them to clients.

And if anyone thinks (rightly or wrongly) that council inspectors don't do much, well private inspectors do even less.

That's not quite true woody, we used PWC for our extension as the inspector allowed us to build it all on a notice whereas the labc wanted full plans for the application which would of been an unnecessary cost.

I couldn't say a bad word about Stuart, he was full of useful advice on how to meet the regulations and what different solutions there were to issues that cropped up.

Pwc were recommended to us by the builder who helped us get to dry shell stage but as my wife was bridesmaid at his wedding he didn't recommend them so he could cut corners on the job just based on past experience and finding them to be pragmatic when it matters.

Hi,

We are going through a similar situation with PWC. I tried to speak to the owner of the company and he told me that they can’t offer a certificate because they have gone into liquidation. He said the only solution is to contact the local authority.

Thanks
In a Google link that someone else posted I noticed the Companies House Register shows the two current directors of PWC are Chartered Surveyors. It might be worth applying some pressure on PWC by mentioning that you are considering lodging a complaint with the RICS Professional Standards.

I suspect the RICS will impose a disciplinary on them for going bust anyway but if there are a string of customer complaints I can see them being struck off. That would severely curtail their future employment prospects.

If you read the notice on their website they've gone into liquidation as they can't get on the building control approved register so they can't legally sign off builds or issue completion certificates so they've no choice but to fold the company.

With a bit of hassle you should be able to get copies of what they've already signed off on your build as there legally required to keep the paperwork, but I've no doubt there not interested in doing much leg work when they won't get paid.

If you managed to get their paperwork, would it be of any use?
After all they're unreachable and anyone could create documents with their logo on it and pass it for genuine...

I'd expect a local building authority to be reasonable if you provided the paperwork and pictures from pwc, I'd imagine they've seen this situation before.

We had a private firm go South during one of our jobs earlier this year. Luckily I take loads of photos, so it was no biggie when LABC picked up the batten.
It was just 'completion' we were waiting on. All signed off.

We where due to move into a new build next Friday, final inspection was due on Monday...

How long did it take for the LABC to issue the completion certificate? The builder has all the reports and inspections completed during the build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back