buying small parcel of Land from the council.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to buy small parcel of Land from my local authority without success. it is a small parcel of waste land adjacent to my land. it is full of rubbish and hard core. There was an out build that had been demolished and the rubbles had not been cleared. The addition of the small parcel to my own land will produce a decent size plot for 2 beds detached bungalow which will contribute to easy the short of accommodation in the area.
whom I need to contact to help my fight with council? is it the leader of the council, my MP? ....?

Sponsored Links
The addition of the small parcel to my own land will produce a decent size plot for 2 beds detached bungalow which will contribute to easy the short of accommodation in the area.
whom I need to contact to help my fight with council? is it the leader of the council, my MP? ....?

Try your local councillor first, then the leader of the council, finally try asking your MP for advice.

One thing you can do, without purchasing the land, or contacting the owner of the land (the council), is engaging someone, to design your bungalow idea, and then present that design to the council. See if that might persuade them.

Sponsored Links
Talking to councilors, the leader of the council, speaking to your MP, the Albanian Embassy? Present the planners with an idea? Persuade them? What is all this nonsense?

Look up your Local Plan, that will tell you what sites are suitable for development and what you can do with them, then if such development will suit your agenda move forward. If you don't know how to do that or find the language/documents daunting employ a suitably qualified person to tell you.

I am trying to buy small parcel of Land from my local authority without success. it is a small parcel of waste land adjacent to my land. it is full of rubbish and hard core. There was an out build that had been demolished and the rubbles had not been cleared. The addition of the small parcel to my own land will produce a decent size plot for 2 beds detached bungalow which will contribute to easy the short of accommodation in the area.
The council are under no obligation to sell you land. If it has development potential they would market the site for informal tenders to get the best price, unless you can show it would have a greater value because you own the adjacent land. Your best bet is to argue that development will tidy up the land. You don't have to own land to apply for planning permission, but as said, if it is not zoned or suitable for planning there is little you can do.

Local civil servants work at snails pace. Have they declined your offer ?

Local civil servants work at snails pace. Have they declined your offer ?
they are not cooperating at all and I do not believe they know what they are talking about. I emailed them 3 times, stating exactly what i am trying to achieve with pictures and block plans and all i get is sorry we can sale you the land.

Fence off the land, wait 7 years and then register it as yours.
Adverse possession.
Free!

OK so why do they have to give you a reason?
I believe the council is professional government body who are obliged to provide a reasonable reason as to why they can not sale the Land as part of their services. They should do that out of respect to the taxpayers who are paying their wages. Particularly, if the proposal develops the sites, adds value and makes good use of the land. After all, everyone deserves explanation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back