buying small parcel of Land from the council.

Sponsored Links
Ok, but I believe that the Council shouldn’t waste Taxpayers money by compiling long and unnecessary explanations for decisions that they make, where that decision only affects a very small number of people.

I understand that the issue may be important to you, but that doesn’t mean it’s worthy of the response you are seeking.

I believe the council is professional government body who are obliged to provide a reasonable reason as to why they can not sale the Land as part of their services. They should do that out of respect to the taxpayers who are paying their wages. Particularly, if the proposal develops the sites, adds value and makes good use of the land. After all, everyone deserves explanation.
Not in this country.

The Civil service get up in the morning, go to work. Do as little as they can to earn a wage and a fat pension.

The hardest days work they are ever likely to do is the day they go on strike.

Last edited:
I believe the council is professional government body who are obliged to provide a reasonable reason as to why they can not sale the Land as part of their services. They should do that out of respect to the taxpayers who are paying their wages. Particularly, if the proposal develops the sites, adds value and makes good use of the land. After all, everyone deserves explanation.
Nah they don't have to provide a reason.

Sponsored Links
Adverse possession won’t work as the OP has asked and been refused an offer to buy.

Ok, but I believe that the Council shouldn’t waste Taxpayers money by compiling long and unnecessary explanations for decisions that they make, where that decision only affects a very small number of people.

I understand that the issue may be important to you, but that doesn’t mean it’s worthy of the response you are seeking.
I have dealt with them in the past when I extended my house, they are nightmare to deal with (apart from the very few who deserved my respect). They are wasting taxpayer money whether they should or should not reply in a decent professional manner. I do believe they do not have intelligence and the professionalism to write a decent email. and due to their incompetent, the big housing development companies are always getting a way and do whatever they need to do when they develop a site. Because they are far more knowledgeable and intelligent than the council.

Why is this a "fight"?

What makes you think that the council are obligated to sell public land to anyone who asks?
the reason was stated in this thread above... . to develop it from a waste land to a useful a value add land. It is health and safety hazard (pile of rubble) and I do not think the council had the budget to clear it.

Last edited:
the reason was stated in the is thread above... . to develop it from a waste land to a useful value added land
That's not a reason, merely your proposition.

Councils own lots of land, they have no obligation to sell it, it belongs to the public.

Is the land even able to be developed? It sounds like it's amenity land that can't be built on.

If you want to be public spirited and want to tidy it up, ask to licence the land instead and do that.

That's not a reason, merely your proposition.

Councils own lots of land, they have no obligation to sell it, it belongs to the public.

Is the land even able to be developed? It sounds like it's amenity land that can't be built on.

If you want to be public spirited and want to tidy it up, ask to licence the land instead and do that.
I think you are missing the point, please read the thread. also what do you mean by licence the land?

I'm not missing the point.

The point is, just because a person thinks a bit of land is "waste land" - whatever that means, does not mean that a council must or even should sell it. Council land is public land.

Which part of the council actually own it? Is the land suitable for development? Have you done your homework?

If the land could be sold, why should it be sold to you? Why not offer it for public sale so as to get the maximum return to the public purse?

Google licencing of land if you want to maintain it from being a "waste land". The council may be more amenable to that.

I'm not missing the point.

The point is, just because a person thinks a bit of land is "waste land" - whatever that means, does not mean that a council must or even should sell it. Council land is public land.

Which part of the council actually own it? Is the land suitable for development? Have you done your homework?

If the land could be sold, why should it be sold to you? Why not offer it for public sale so as to get the maximum return to the public purse?

Google licencing of land if you want to maintain it from being a "waste land". The council may be more amenable to that.
it will not be good to anyone, the only access to this land is via my land I did not ask for a discount, I am just asking if they can sell to me so that i can develop it to dwelling that will benefit the community.

So, there is a plot of land that has no access at all by anyone else except from your property on all sides?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back