close call,boiler caught fire!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our bathroom boiler caught fire yesterday, sort of lucky it happened during the day rather than at night when asleep, it hadnt spread yet so i was able to put it out by turning off the boiler and then hosed it down with
the powder extinguisher.

anyway i'm just wondering if anyone can tell what type of boiler is it from the pics below?,
it's a old one made by thorn, i think it's model no is 72-10.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/schnitzertuned/001-1.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/schnitzertuned/002-1.jpg

we might not be able to claim on the insurance,so i may have to shop around online for the best prices.

Sponsored Links
It looks like a multipoint instant water heater, but when did you last have
it serviced, doesnt look recent.

James

Could be an old main medway, although it looks like a Thorn logo on the front casing, whats left of it.

Strangely, recently, I was called to a new customer who also had had a boiler fire in the bathroom, an Icon combi in this instance.

I think the data badge is a bit of a give away, Main Avon multipoint GC # 52-476-26 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
yeah it's a very old boiler that really should have been replaced , it only heats the water to the bath tub and basin, the shower is separate and is electric and then we have a worcster combi in the basement that heats the rest of the property.

does the replacement boiler have to be the same type ie a multipoint instant or can we choose a different one?

we've just had a local fitter quote us approx £900-1200 but i guess they thought we'd be able to claim on the insurance , is this a reasonable price?

if you have a combi in the basement, why not have the HW supplied from that....save you a few quid and be more efficient.

The picture highlights the reason why folk shouldn't paint the casing of their boiler or if situated in an airing cupboard, why they shouldn't stack their cloths round the boiler..
A modern water heater would need a 230v supply....In a bathroom?

I'd utilise the existing combi

the gas fitter guy said it's not as easy to plumb the worcester combi to supply the bathroom because of the amount of pipe work needed, it's a old property and the pipes in the basement is a maze, the water valve in the basement when shut off still does not stop the water to the bathroom, it has it's own waterpipes and shut of valve somewhere else which i do not know where.

Some councils offer grants my council replace boilers etc if you get working tax credits , have a child under five and have no other way of heating your house . so it may be worth checking with yours

Main still do a balanced flue multipoint with piezo ignition, no leccy needed.

Its most unlikely that there is any way that you can get a 10-15 y.o. instant water heater replaced under your insurance policy.

Consequential damage would be covered if it had burnt your house down.

However,when the gas stays on as a result of a lack of regular proper servicing then its your own resources that will be required to replace it.

A better solution would be to spend about £2500 to integrate your water and heating with a combi boiler. However, I suppose like many others you will do the minimum spend and just replace the instant water heater for about £1000 and retain a rather complicated and less efficient system.

Tony

Agile as usual making no sense.
1 .What is complicated about a multipoint it is far more reliable than any modern combi.
2 What sort of rip of merchant would charge £1000 to fit something that costs around £300 and could be done in around 2 hours and as for the local guy saying it would be upto £1200 he is living in cloud cuckoo land

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back