Expanded ULEZ

Actually most of the country doesn't need to care - not much anyway. I live nowhere near one of these zones
I hope I'm proved wrong, however part of me wonders if similar schemes, on a smaller more compact scale of course, will be rolled out to smaller cities and towns in years to come. For example will councils look to make the 'town centre' a ULEZ. Wouldn't surprise me.

Sponsored Links
Its extremely common in London for moped riders to leave a big lock trailing over their rear number plate to avoid ANPR cameras. More and more common with all the 20mph zones.

One motorcycle delivery driver for City Sprint (company name was on back box) altered his plate with a piece of tape and kept going in bus lanes. He altered it to look like mine and I kept getting the tickets! Luckily I could prove it wasn’t me. I worked out what his real number was, phoned them up and told the manager to stop the **** using my number plate otherwise I would hold him responsible too. It stopped almost straight away.

However, I personally don't think that many will do this.
We're a bunch of sheep and as unfortunate as it may sound, we should take example from the French sometimes.

Exactly. Brits will grumble amongst themselves. A few will go on Question Time for a pointless prime-time rant. However, nothing will change and they'll just stump up the extra money and accept ever increasing limitations to their freedoms like the good sheep that they are. They would rather drop their neighbours in it for some misdemeanor or daring not to follow some petty rule than stand up for themselves.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its extremely common in London for moped riders to leave a big lock trailing over their rear number plate to avoid ANPR cameras. More and more common with all the 20mph zones.

We've had 20 mph limit in Bristol for a long time. At first many stuck to the limit, but gradually it unofficially drifted back to 30 as there weren't any police to enforce it. If you drive at 20 now, you will be the exception holding up all the other traffic. They do have a single camera van that moves around, but you have to be very unlucky. Can go a whole year without spotting it.

Quite a bit of research that shows accidents are high once 20 zones are introduced en-mass as people are less diligent when crossing the road etc. They are also very difficult to enforce. One missing terminal sign and due to the existence of street lights, the whole thing defaults to 30mph.

I asked in a local forum what would happen if everybody removed their number plates.
The general consensus was that tfl can't do anything and there's no enough police to issue fines to everyone.
Some will be stopped and given a ticket, but after a few days the plod would just give up.
That's what the majority of people think.
However, I personally don't think that many will do this.
We're a bunch of sheep and as unfortunate as it may sound, we should take example from the French sometimes.
Your local forum is full of Muppets. They'd bump deliberate offenders up to the Magistrates court and a £1000 fine.

It's the same sort of thinking that the London Rioters and January 6th insurrectionists used. They can and will get through them all in time.

Your local forum is full of Muppets. They'd bump deliberate offenders up to the Magistrates court and a £1000 fine.

It's the same sort of thinking that the London Rioters and January 6th insurrectionists used. They can and will get through them all in time.
Isn't just a £100 pcn?
£1000 is if you're prosecute, plead not guilty, found guilty and you're a persistent offender.
Level 3 of standard scale of fines if I remember correctly.

Isn't just a £100 pcn?
£1000 is if you're prosecute, plead not guilty, found guilty and you're a persistent offender.
Level 3 of standard scale of fines if I remember correctly.
It'd be a PCN, then the next day you're captured driving it you're a persistent offender.

Dirty, missing or obscured plate is basically summary offence, with a fine. Fraud (e.g. cloning) would be more serious.

Where there's a fine to be issued they'll arrive. When there's an entire neighborhoods worth then they'll flock like locusts.
No, that happens when there's a cat stuck on a tree.
Really, I once saw 6 police cars near a park where a cat wouldn't come down the tree and the owner, an old lady was crying her eyes out.
6 police cars!

Sponsored Links
Back