Expanded ULEZ

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
68525593-11841473-image-a-5_1678391946952.jpg

I see the mayor is using wireless cameras and experimenting with pollution blocking covers for his new ULEZ expansion
jr-ulez-cameras-covered-bags-boxes.jpg

The scheme is ridiculous for people who hardly use their cars.
There's bitching going on on TV right now about numbers of people affected, but I haven't heard reasonably calculated numbers to justify the blanket policy.
Yes there's pollution in London, but I only hear childlike arguments saying that all non-compliant cars therefore should have to replaced at their owners' cost. Some of the cars are old taxis, but some are owned by older, poorer people who only use them once a week for shopping. The latter make a relatively insignificant contribution to pollution.
TFL have access to the location of every vehicle in the area, and how many miles each does (from MOTs). They can also apply known data on fuel economy and pollutant emission - some cars use is double others, per mile.
There are exemptions in place.
Adding a "low mileage exemption" would cover the old shoppers and reduce the farce of perfectly usable vehicles being scrapped.

Exemption:
If there's anyone out there this applies to who's getting arthritis or other physical problems: can you always walk 50 metres without any difficulty?
If not, apply for PIP. Do your research on the net about the complete terms of the assessment, which include your ability to do it repeatedly, when you like, at more than half the speed of "normal", and safely. Get a note from your doc - it doesn't have to say a lot.

Then you qualify for
1) lower level mobility payment, which is about £26 a week going up 10% in April. You also qualify for the scrappage scheme, which means, as far as I saw, a flat £2000 for your vehicle, which is probably more than you could sell it for if it's an oldie.

2) Also https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions section 3.
a stay of execution on you using your vehicle until 2027.

Whether you could scrap one old banger then buy another non-compliant vehicle for use until 2027 - they're getting very cheap - I don't know. I don't see why not.

3) if you qualify for PIP then you could also probably get a Blue badge - which has no particular relevance to ULEZ.

These aren't high polluting old bangers. Many of the affected cars, are low polluting, efficient diesels which happen to be pre- Sep-2015.
In our household we have one car 118g/km CO2 = non-compliant, the other 183 g/km compliant.

These aren't high polluting old bangers. Many of the affected cars, are low polluting, efficient diesels which happen to be pre- Sep-2015.
In our household we have one car 118g/km CO2 = non-compliant, the other 183 g/km compliant.
SOme are some aren't. The standard they refer to is about NOx and Particulates not CO2. Particulates are quite a problem for asthmatics, and as a vector for all manner of ills.
NOc and VOCs combine with UV in sunlight to make ozone, other radicals which can lead to smog, harm to our lungs, insects, plants, and that.

Last edited:
My Audi is compliant for pollutant but not for NOx.
Limit is 0.08 g/km mine is 0.21 g/km.
So i have to scrap a like new car with less than 70k miles, paid £60k when new.
All to please a dirty midget with napoleon syndrome.
And don't get me started on my 25 year old petrol VW which went through a massive overall last year, only to be scrapped.
This is because at the time they didn't record the pollution levels, so accordingly to the khant it's a scrap.

My Audi is compliant for pollutant but not for NOx.
Limit is 0.08 g/km mine is 0.21 g/km.
So i have to scrap a like new car with less than 70k miles, paid £60k when new.
All to please a dirty midget with napoleon syndrome.
And don't get me started on my 25 year old petrol VW which went through a massive overall last year, only to be scrapped.
This is because at the time they didn't record the pollution levels, so accordingly to the khant it's a scrap.
You could develop a limp?

A4 isn't it - how old's that? Behindert durch Dummheit. I guess you can sell them outside London, but yeah, that's going to feel unfair. Pity some mfs can't come up with add-on cats.

I reckon such schemes, maybe tweaked depending on town population and vehicle count, will gradually permeate across the country into towns of all sizes. I also think the 15 minute zone thingy will gradually come to fruition across the country, with drivers requiring permits or suchlike to drive into other zones. Bit by bit, the driving freedoms we've had over past decades will slowly be further restricted. All under the banner of environmental health.

In a way, it would be interesting to see just how the Greens would run the country if they were in power, trying to find the balance between economic growth whilst meeting environmental targets.

I reckon such schemes, maybe tweaked depending on town population and vehicle count, will gradually permeate across the country into towns of all sizes. I also think the 15 minute zone thingy will gradually come to fruition across the country, with drivers requiring permits or suchlike to drive into other zones. Bit by bit, the driving freedoms we've had over past decades will slowly be further restricted. All under the banner of environmental health.

In a way, it would be interesting to see just how the Greens would run the country if they were in power, trying to find the balance between economic growth whilst meeting environmental targets.

Yes, they're going to take away your freedoms and sell them back to you.

Sponsored Links
Back