Grenfell

Why not just put all the blame onto the man ( or woman ) who designed the refrigerator that caught fire.

Sponsored Links
Best you address that question to the DCLG - as I'm not in a position to give a qualified answer BUT the one I know the best Part P was created during the Labour years
I don't think part p is that relevant to grenfell overall

I don't think part p is that relevant to grenfell overall
The only political aspects the enquiry mentioned was deregulation by the con/lib and labour ignoring warnings.

Dereg may have altered building regs or - pass. Warnings may have been similar problems in another country or some other source. We just get the highlights. Details in 1,000 s of pages.

The regulations they write are so badly worded, ambiguous and open to interpretation
Are you referring to Part B or Part L?

My take is that greedy grasping (probably Tory) developers have either ignored reg's or played one off against the other.

Sponsored Links
Although there are failings all over the place with this, surely the company who lied about the fire retardant capability of the product should be right up there re focus of any further investigations?

If they, the owners of said company, have any conscience whatever I wonder how they're feeling about all this? There again, giving the lies, I can hazard a guess ...

Corporate manslaughter is being mentioned but that doesn't mean that the official end will be that. Pundits as usual.
May be correct though.

Although there are failings all over the place with this, surely the company who lied about the fire retardant capability of the product should be right up there re focus of any further investigations?
I think that's right. It doesn't matter how strict the rules are, if companies and individuals are just going to deliberately lie about products/materials then it's very hard to police it.

I think that's right. It doesn't matter how strict the rules are, if companies and individuals are just going to deliberately lie about products/materials then it's very hard to police it.
Perhaps we should have some official body responsible for testing and certifying products to standards.

We could set up a "British Standards Institute" funded by fees from manufacturers and importers.

We could have Trading Standards officers and we could have Building Control.

I'm surprised nobody's thought of it before.

Perhaps we should have some official body responsible for testing and certifying products to standards.

We could set up a "British Standards Institute" funded by fees from manufacturers and importers.

We could have Trading Standards officers and we could have Building Control.

I'm surprised nobody's thought of it before.
Absolutely, but taking this further is a massive undertaking if people doing the work are just dishonest. Maybe stiffer punishment for those breaking the rules.

Where would it stop as well. No self certification of electrical/plumbing/structural engineers for example. Everything has to be "checked" on and off site and approved by an official body perhaps. Testing of all materials on site to ensure they are fitting what they said they would. Nothing would ever get finished.

Boeing captured regulatory control in the US, and sold dangerous planes that crashed.

The regulation and inspection must not be under control of the same organisation that has an interest in increasing profits by lowering quality.

Maybe stiffer punishment for those breaking the rules.

What dissuades people from wrongdoing is not the severity of punishment, but the certainty of being caught.

Imagine living in a country where you could choose your own Building Control Inspector.

Some builders would choose one who was very cheap, carried out no site visits, and nodded through substandard work.

But it's not the builder who is responsible for compliance with building regulations but the homeowner or in a larger scale contractor / managing body?

Sponsored Links
Back