Hidden Electrics

You can do that, but why would you? Removing the plug, and connecting to a FCU, makes fault-finding and repair so much more difficult.
True, but for many things, the need for "fault finding and repair" is a once-in-a-blue-moon event, such that some people might feel that the slightly increased 'difficulty' should that happen is a price worth paying for what they regard as an aesthetic improvement.

Indeed, it's really only 'repair' that's a potential issue since, provided one uses switched FCUs (invariably with a DP switch), 'fault finding' does not really become any more difficult than if one has a plug/socket connection.

Sponsored Links
True, but for many things, the need for "fault finding and repair" is a once-in-a-blue-moon event, such that some people might feel that the slightly increased 'difficulty' should that happen is a price worth paying for what they regard as an aesthetic improvement.

Aesthetically, to my mind, there is little difference.

Indeed, it's really only 'repair' that's a potential issue since, provided one uses switched FCUs (invariably with a DP switch), 'fault finding' does not really become any more difficult than if one has a plug/socket connection.

Well I know which I find easier and much quicker. Unplug the failed item, plug it into a different socket/plug in a known working item into the failed outlet.

I only choose FCU's when there is a good reason to use one, such as when it is a special purpose outlet, or a regular use, high current application.

Aesthetically, to my mind, there is little difference.
Same here, but personal opinions about that obviously vary. It may well not be the appearance of the actual accessory(ies), per se, that concerns them but, rather, the 'trailing cable' which will often result from using a plug/socket/
Well I know which I find easier and much quicker. Unplug the failed item, plug it into a different socket/plug in a known working item into the failed outlet.
Obviously slightly 'easier' - but, as I said, not an issue in some [people's minds if the need is only going to rise 'once in a blue moon'!
I only choose FCU's when there is a good reason to use one, such as when it is a special purpose outlet, or a regular use, high current application.
That's a perfectly reasonable approach.

I suppose some people might argue that a 'proper screwed (or whatever) connection' was electrically preferable to a plug/socket

You can do that, but why would you? Removing the plug, and connecting to a FCU, makes fault-finding and repair so much more difficult.
If the electric blinds is on the window, which is recessed 500mm deep, and the plug is down the wall, I dont really want a plug wire running across the cill and down the wall.

Sponsored Links
If the electric blinds is on the window, which is recessed 500mm deep, and the plug is down the wall, I dont really want a plug wire running across the cill and down the wall.
I can understand that. As I wrote ...
.... It may well not be the appearance of the actual accessory(ies), per se, that concerns them but, rather, the 'trailing cable' which will often result from using a plug/socket/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back