Imagine A World Without Religion

There was plenty of history before the Reformation, and they've had a good deal of influence since Catholic Emancipation in the early 19th century.
Yes they can now marry into the royal family. And become MP's. Something should be done, they'll be taking over next.

Sponsored Links
A world without religion?

Nature abhors a vacuum. What would these religious zealots that join together with large numbers of other religious zealots do every day without their 'god' in their lives? I mean, what would you do with all these empty, large-domed roofed buildings?
Some famous philosopher (so famous I cant remember his name) said if God didn't exist it would be necessary for man to invent him. KInda sums it up

Religion is hard wired into the human psyche and cannot be eradicated by legislation or logic.
I have to disagree with you there...

Religion is drummed into people who at the end of the day have no hope...

And thus many of the evils in this world happen because those without hope are told to hate others who are perceived to be different...

Religion (whatever imaginary friend different fanatics believe in) is by definition illogical, since there is no proof of any of these imaginary friends...

The only hope there is for the future is the eradication of all religions...

But see where that got Lennon!

Sponsored Links
I have to disagree with you there...

Religion is drummed into people who at the end of the day have no hope...

And thus many of the evils in this world happen because those without hope are told to hate others who are perceived to be different...

Religion (whatever imaginary friend different fanatics believe in) is by definition illogical, since there is no proof of any of these imaginary friends...

The only hope there is for the future is the eradication of all religions...

But see where that got Lennon!
Religion can offer hope to folk in desperate need of it - a cushion to soften the blow of a tragic death or provide succour to innocents trapped in a war zone, or any number of events that can occur in lifetime. Perhaps i should've said, 'spiritulity' is hardwired into the human psyche but i didn't want to go all New Age on the matter. It's been around for far longer than organised religion and, perhaps, even before God became a concept. Before the "one true God" came along to claim supremacy over the many who were worshipped there was an avatar ever-present throughout the natural world: animism is the oldest known form of worship and the simplest way to connect with something larger than the Self. It doesn't require 'proof', it just Is.

Your claim that the only hope is an eradication of religion is nihilistic and leads to anarchy.

I / We work for numerous religious people :cool: Of differing beliefs / faiths

Quite like some of the beliefs of a Hindu lady we work for ( don’t believe em but do like them )

Religion is hard wired into the human psyche and cannot be eradicated by legislation or logic.
That’s nonsense, it’s installed by your family or friends.

No one wakes up wanting to be religious.

Your claim that the only hope is an eradication of religion is nihilistic and leads to anarchy.
What a strange argument to make...

Is that your belief as to what would happen, and could you prove it would happen?

Religious beliefs have of course been proven to have been the cause of untold deaths and that is fact!

And as someone who has obviously been instilled with the belief that without organised control there is the 'danger' of 'anarchy' does not understand the meaning of 'anarchy'!

Uneducated/easily led people believe it is a descent into chaos, but educated people realise it is a system of self governance rather than imposed control...

Religion can offer hope to folk in desperate need of it - a cushion to soften the blow of a tragic death or provide succour to innocents trapped in a war zone, or any number of events that can occur in lifetime.

Based on what proof?

One could argue that alcohol/drugs provide a similar crutch...

And if the number of deaths were able to be tallied up, I'd wager that religion would be the 'winner'!

What a strange argument to make...

Is that your belief as to what would happen, and could you prove it would happen?

Religious beliefs have of course been proven to have been the cause of untold deaths and that is fact!

And as someone who has obviously been instilled with the belief that without organised control there is the 'danger' of 'anarchy' does not understand the meaning of 'anarchy'!

Uneducated/easily led people believe it is a descent into chaos, but educated people realise it is a system of self governance rather than imposed control...

Based on what proof?

One could argue that alcohol/drugs provide a similar crutch...

And if the number of deaths were able to be tallied up, I'd wager that religion would be the 'winner'!
I don't think it needs "proof" that some people find hope in religion, which encourages them to adopt it, even though it's a circular argument.

I was once subjected to hearing and commenting on a kid's analysis and timeline of "the resurrection".
I asked he how she could prove that some JC fanboys didn't creep in and nick the body before Mary Magd got there in the morning.
She came back with someting like "Oh but we believe it was god". I laughed, which her parents didn't like very much.

Sponsored Links
Back