Indirect water cylinder

But it is the best method.
That might be your opinion. Re-reading, it looks like the kit isn't installed yet, so it's not a question of changing existing. IMO best plan is to take back the mid-position valve and swap in for a W-plan V4044. If he can then clarify with Viessmann how to connect the roomstat he's pretty much there.
Wiring is simpler also and no limit switches to cause problems.
Even if he decides against weathercomp I would still go for W-plan as IMO Y-plan is no improvement.

Sponsored Links
That might be your opinion. Re-reading, it looks like the kit isn't installed yet, so it's not a question of changing existing. IMO best plan is to take back the mid-position valve and swap in for a W-plan V4044. If he can then clarify with Viessmann how to connect the roomstat he's pretty much there.
Wiring is simpler also and no limit switches to cause problems.
Even if he decides against weathercomp I would still go for W-plan as IMO Y-plan is no improvement.

Personally I prefer an ntc for cylinder DHW control and no 2 port but just a reversed diverter for primary direction.

it looks like the kit isn't installed yet
No its not and hence the post. The boiler is working in CH mode only (with your help off course).
I have bought the cylinder, will hire someone to do the pipework. I have attached a photo of pipeloop with mid position valve which I intend to utilize with cylinder installation.
The mid position valve is drayton (see attached picture)
I just want to make an informed decision of which configuration to go for and will buy parts based on the configuration. What's your advise on W plan system? I have to make a decision whether to go for 2 x 2 port valves for X plan or mid pos or diverter valve for W plan?
The WC sensor I will install myself for CH (not sure if I need room stat with WC but that's another debate).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240619_022431191.jpg
    PXL_20240619_022431191.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240619_022636345.jpg
    PXL_20240619_022636345.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 32
swap in for a W-plan V4044
So mid Position valve that I have is for Y plan system and have a different actuator.
Am I right in thinking (as you have said in your post as well) that valve body for mid position and diverter valve is the same? Its just the actuator that needs to change from ZA5 (5 wires) to ZA3 (3 wire) system.

I sent out an email to Viessmann Technical support asking them about the cylinder demand terminal box used in conjunction with WC for CH. I have purchase the WC sensor for CH only. They suggested a W plan system as well. I am on my learning curve about various configurations before I make an informed decision with the help of this forum.

Do I need to run a separate circulator/pump for DHW in W plan configuration?
I am also tossing up the idea that whatever configuration I chose it shouldn't disrupt my CH loop which is working perfectly.

Attachments

• Motorised Valve 2-port - Diverter - Mid position (I. Guide).pdf
    375.1 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
You could go on his course!
Might be a bit of a trek for him from across the pond ;)
I just want to make an informed decision of which configuration to go for and will buy parts based on the configuration

OK - either a W plan or an X plan will work and do the job - the W plan with the diverter is a little easier to plumb in though for a pro an X plan is just as easy. The trick after that is the wiring and config. You need someone who is familiar with boiler wiring and setting up PDHW with OT and the correct controls/stats.

The diverter vavle is a simple on and off - off it's @ HW by default, on it's CH but X plan is the new prescribed standard for PDHW

IMO best plan is to take back the mid-position valve and swap in for a W-plan V4044.
The MID pos valve was a hangover from the last job and an old used valve so can't be taken back
I have bought a 120 litre indirect water cylinder.
Vented or unvented?

The boiler is working in CH mode only (with your help off course).
Remember it now, memory's not what it was!
The mid position valve is drayton (see attached picture)
I'm pretty sure the operation and wire colours are the same as Honeywell, unless somebody corrects me.
I just want to make an informed decision of which configuration to go for and will buy parts based on the configuration. What's your advise on W plan system? I have to make a decision whether to go for 2 x 2 port valves for X plan or mid pos or diverter valve for W plan?
As you already have the valve, may as well use it. Although it's a mid-position type the mid-position is not used with weather comp and PDHW, and it's wired accordingly a la Viessmann. If you feel like getting a replacement either/or valve head that would be wired as W-plan.
So mid Position valve that I have is for Y plan system and have a different actuator.
Different from what? It's a mid-position actuator I assume.
Am I right in thinking (as you have said in your post as well) that valve body for mid position and diverter valve is the same? Its just the actuator that needs to change from ZA5 (5 wires) to ZA3 (3 wire) system.
Yes, valve body is the same.
I sent out an email to Viessmann Technical support asking them about the cylinder demand terminal box used in conjunction with WC for CH. I have purchase the WC sensor for CH only. They suggested a W plan system as well. I am on my learning curve about various configurations before I make an informed decision with the help of this forum.
Starting from scratch W-plan would be a good option, but as you already have the valve.............
Do I need to run a separate circulator/pump for DHW in W plan configuration?
No
I am also tossing up the idea that whatever configuration I chose it shouldn't disrupt my CH loop which is working perfectly.
Only affect on the CH is that when HW is called the CH goes off until the cylinder stat is satisfied (or switched off on the timer)

One more point - the Viessmann data shows a timer with all 6 terminals accessible. Some timers have the both commons connected internally at mains voltage, and inaccessible.

Attachments

• IMG-20240612-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20240612-WA0018.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 14
The MID pos valve was a hangover from the last job and an old used valve so can't be taken back
OK, I'd missed that
Try and avoid using a 3 port mid pos valve (Y Plan), they are notoriously unpredictable and no longer used on new installs - use at least 2x2 port valves (S plan).
I hadn't heard that but I'm not surprised, I never saw any advantage of Y-plan over W-plan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back