Is Stockton on Tees a ****hole?

There are many households where both partners need to work to provide sufficient income but if they had a baby the childcare costs would blow the budget…..so they carry being childless.

Both of my parents worked, I hardly saw my father, when I was very young, he worked away so much and such long hours. My mother returned to work just ASAP, leaving me with a latchkey. Friends and relatives, stepped in to help out. The situation has been the same, for me too - except now I am retired, there is just Avril working, and herself working long hours.

Sponsored Links
Different times. No Sky TV, no new cars each, every year on lease, just one old banger to run, no gym memberships, no mobile phone contracts, no foreign holidays
People suffering food poverty or energy poverty dont have any of those things

but hey, right wing supporters have gotta keep spewing out these Daily Mail tropes…..like the good little Minions

Do you or have you worked with the 'disadvantaged'? I do and I see a lot more than you do. You really know nothing. Many of them have more disposable income than I do.
“I do and see a lot more than you do”

No you don’t, you see what your cognitive bias wants you to see, You are the epitome of Daily Mail trope man, full of lazy arguments.

Where did I mention the disadvantaged?

food and fuel poverty now includes the professional middle class

It isnt very nice throwing such stereotypes at people who are really suffering.…but it’s easy to do when you have the security of a mortgage free house.

As I tried to make clear, it has not always been thus, for me. It took lots of hard work to get out of it.

Poverty is horrible, it is an endless grind without hope. No wonder people in it suffer mental health issues.

True, I will argue with that, but there are plenty of jobs, plenty of money to be earned, for those willing.

Sponsored Links
Different times. No Sky TV, no new cars each, every year on lease, just one old banger to run, no gym memberships, no mobile phone contracts, no foreign holidays, just a stag night two days before the wedding, held in a pub and not a stag week in a foreign country, a 'normal, wedding in a church with a 'do' in a community centre instead of a 'celebrity' wedding, no fully fitted new show home but a wreck of a home that necessitated living in one of the bedrooms for a whole year, no everything new and on HP but everything and I do mean everything apart from the bed bought second hand or hand-me-downs. Do you know any young couple that does the same these days? I don’t. That’s why it’s harder….
You're in a different world.

Most of those hardships are experienced by many now. The biggest difference though is that they can't even get a mortgage.

I'm alright jack. !

Because they have absolutely no hope of owning anything that you do.
I'd say they have no desire. Designer clothes, the latest iPhone, a Bully XL and an off-road scrambler are top of their list. The state can look after their actual living needs - it does for their parents and role models, so it will do for them.

Last edited:
I'd say they have no desire. Designer clothes, the latest iPhone, a Bully XL and an off-road scrambler are top of their list. The state can look after their actual living needs - it does for their parents and role models, so it will do for them.
Right wing lazy rubbish.

How many are in that category rather than working hard and struggling?

So, best blow what little income they do get, on frivolities, rather than the essentials of life?

Now here's a funny thing.

.... I moved in with my then partner, who was at the time renting this place. I didn't like the idea of it being council owned, and having to ask their permission for everything we might want to do, besides which, it would be pointless to invest money in a house which someone else owned. So like many others in the street - we bought it, a 3-bed semi, very well built by a tiny local council, with a massive garden, in a nice area. Even better, it had just been put through a back to bare brick, full refurb, which had taken 6 months of hell....

So you got a much better house than a typical young couple today could hope for

Well built. Recently done up. Big garden. Nice area.

At, what? 50% discount on the then value?

Since when house prices have rocketed, and wages haven't.

And you like to think your comfortable life comes from working hard and not buying Smashed Avocados on toast?

Don't try to tell me it was harder for you.

Old people of today? They dont know they're born.

Sponsored Links
Back