Lamppost cable. What are they for?

Permitted developement doesnt simply mean poles can be erected willy nilly by any communications company wherever they want.

For a start they have to get permission from the land owner and they still have to adibe by planning laws and building regs.

If the operator has "code powers" and want to site a pole on the footway, there is not a massive amount that the local authority can do it about it:

They have to get a street works permit and ask for "prior approval" but the grounds for refusal are much more limited than for a normal planning matter. Even then, I suspect the consequences for not following the rules are minimal.
No, it's not willy-nilly, but it's not a million miles away!

Sponsored Links
If they are not related to the roads (i.e. real 'lampposts', currently without the lamps), I suspect that they may well have needed p[planning permission, so a look on your LA's website for planning applications might perhaps provide some information?

Certain other things are exempt, like poles for telecoms. There are lots of complaints about telecoms companies, able to install their poles, in areas where if they needed permission, then the permission would certainly be refused. There are also instances of one company installing a poles for their services, then a second company coming along and adding their poles, just metres from the existing ones.

If the operator has "code powers" and want to site a pole on the footway, there is not a massive amount that the local authority can do it about it:

They have to get a street works permit and ask for "prior approval" but the grounds for refusal are much more limited than for a normal planning matter. Even then, I suspect the consequences for not following the rules are minimal.
No, it's not willy-nilly, but it's not a million miles away!

One telecoms company, just turned up here, in our street, and began digging, to install cable ducts, and access points. No warnings about the work, they caused absolute chaos for residents, and through traffic. I complained to the councillor, who investigated, the answer came back, that no permissions were needed at all, they don't even need to advise anyone.

Sponsored Links
We always called the "Telegraph Poles" when young even though they were for Telephones instead back then , suppose it`s just same as me old gran calling them "Electric Gas lamps " and "Electric Gas Ovens" cos "Gas" was more ingrained into them than those new fangled Electric equivalents,
Vacuum Cleaners were always "Hoovers" even if they were Electrolux etc etc etc.
Names stick beyond their original meaning.

Names stick beyond their original meaning.
They do - and, in many/most cases that probably makes sense, since there would be scope for lots of confusion if we kept changing the names of things as a result of 'evolution of use/construction/whatever'.

No. In most cases it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
That's obviously a matter of personal opinion.

The world has changed dramatically over the decades, so that many of the words we continue to use are no longer appropriate in terms of their derivation.

As one opf countless examples, do you believe that those who do pipework etc. should now be called something other than "plumbers", since very few of them now do anything related to lead?

They do - and, in many/most cases that probably makes sense, since there would be scope for lots of confusion if we kept changing the names of things as a result of 'evolution of use/construction/whatever'.

Not such a big problem, if we use the proper name for things, such as vaccing, or vacuuming around.

Surely you mean a 'partial-vacuum' cleaner? Or perhaps a 'suction' cleaner? :)

And what should should we call the thing that burns gas to heat the water for your radiators? Because it certainly doesn't boil the water - it would explode if it it did....

What about the area that contains the instrumentation for your car's engine?, because it certainly doesn't exist to shield you from mud dashed up by the hooves of the horses pulling you along......

Surely you mean a 'partial-vacuum' cleaner? Or perhaps a 'suction' cleaner? :)
If I had used the word 'suction' when at school, my Physics teacher would have freaked out, since he was always reminding us that such a thing (which implies that one can have a 'negative pressure') does not exist ;)

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
And what should should we call the thing that burns gas to heat the water for your radiators? Because it certainly doesn't boil the water - it would explode if it it did...
Indeed - and in the days before washing machines, my grandmother had a vessel (which I'm almost certain was made of steel) in which she boiled up her 'washing', which was known as a "copper" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back