Less Stuff - More Joy

Herself weaned me on to veggie meats over ten years ago now and they have that meaty-munchy taste to give an allusion to red meat, but i still like my chicken dinner and no way can i give up sausages. The veggie versions are alright i suppose, i like the red onion/rosemary. I can't get on with Quorn, though. It has an odd texture, but the best way i've found to get the protein and stay veggie-kosher is mushrooms. 'Shrooms are so versatile you can put 'em in just about anything and i've become a dab hand with a stir-fry.

Oh, I thought all veggie food was Quorn. I only accidentality tried Quorn once and couldn't eat it, so I have never tried other veggie. I wouldn't call myself a big meat eater, but I do like some meat with most meals. I'm very particular about what meat I do eat, especially I'm finicky about the quality of sausages and any meat which is 'formed and shaped'. The lower the meat content/the finer it is minced, the less chance I will eat it. I will not eat the likes of chicken Kiev, unless they are made from the whole breast. I never buy the likes of hot dog sausages.

When buying sausages I always check the meat content and the price per Kg, the higher the price, the greater the meat content. At the moment, I look for as close to £6 per Kg as I can find.

Sponsored Links
All Quorn is veggie meats, but not all veggie meats are Quorn;)
I couldn't eat Chicken Kiev/kyiv as i garlic doesn't agree with me, and i don't buy hot dog's to eat in, but find 'em hard to resist at a fair or a festival. Sausages are always good from my butchers; been having 'em from there since i were a lad. Nothing else tastes as good.

I bought some Vegan butter for 10p... its really not bad

I bought some Vegan butter for 10p... its really not bad
It's not too difficult to make your own, if you have the time - take a carton of double cream and whisk til it's thickened, sieve out the buttermilk, squeeze the butter into a ball and rinse in a bowl of ice cold water to get rid of any remaining residue. Beat in a pinch of salt (i use sea salt) and let it rest in the fridge. I only do it to use up herbs, like rosemary, as we have a large rosemary bush that always keeps on giving. Chopped up it's a fine additive to cooking or when i melt some to make bread. I'll also add rosemary to olive oil and let it infuse. Very tasty for salad dressings.

How much butter can you get for 10p?

Sponsored Links
Back