Light Sphere, is that the new name to replace light bulb?

Yes, but it's not preferred. As I understand it, the recommendation is to use multiples of 1000 - lengths in km, m, mm, nm, pressure in Pa, kPa, MPa ...
That's what I've said - and, as I added (since this is an Electrics forum), it's exactly the same as the situation with BS7671 ('plug') fuses - 3A and 13A ones are 'preferred' (hence 'recommended'), but there's nothing wrong or incorrect about using any of the other sizes which are available

Sponsored Links
I'm not totally sure what that refers to, but it's only an opinion, even if perhaps one widely held in your country
(Also, "Dual-Scale Instruments are Evil" ...
"Evil or not, whilst metric-only measuring devices are available in UK, I would say that a very high proportion of those been sold here even today are 'dual scale' (or, if electronic switchable between Imperial and metric). Similarly temperature measuring devices here almost invariably have scales in both °C and °F (or switchable) and most speedometers in vehicles have both kph and mph scales.
Such measuring devices are quite "inappropriate" - to say the least.
I'm not sure what that means. They are perfectly 'fit for purpose'.
"All Millimetre" measuring devices are not "more crowded"
Given that there is one more digit in a mm scale marking than a cm one, the markings are inevitably either 'more crowded' or in a smaller font on a mm one - which reduces'readability.
"All Millimetre" tape measures (and Rules) are available, even if mainly in Australia !
As above, they are available in UK, but dual-scale ones still seem more common.

Sponsored Links
Having to produce a graph when I went to collage, it was log tables or slide rule and a sheet of graph paper, and taking the readings from the hydraulic dynamometer and calculation horse power. Do same calculation 50 times to draw the graph and the formula sticks in ones mind.

So 33,000 now is 60.

I see in general section there is a similar thread, fax is missing the Tele for distance, it should have been Telefax, so the machine which copied local, needed a diffrent name, so photostat, and if not using paper with a Fax it is slow scan TV.

I'm not totally sure what that refers to, but it's only an opinion, even if perhaps one widely held in your country
You wrote
" In this case, some of the 'convenience' may be that things would get more 'crowded' (hence not quite as easy to read) if one had the extra digit required to mark in mm ..."
to which I replied "Not so." and indicated with "photos"

You also wrote
"Given that there is one more digit in a mm scale marking than a cm one, the markings are inevitably either 'more crowded' or in a smaller font on a mm one - which reduces'readability.

No.
It does not, as those above "photos" clearly show.
as compared to your "dual scale" reference image

things would get more 'crowded' (hence not quite as easy to read)
Yep my thoughts too, As write 100mm write 10cm is one less zero to take any space up therefore available space has more room to have larger more easy to see digits, I can`t disagree with that idea even if it breaks my own 1 metre and then x 1000s upwards steps and divide by 1000s downwards steps.
However contradictory to my overall preferences, it might also be biased to the units one works with both in personal and occupational sense too. So with that in mind it`s not easily a one size fits all (or rather one convention fits all). Horses courses!

No. I did no write "things would get more 'crowded' (hence not quite as easy to read)"
That was a quote from JohnW2 and is (demonstrably) incorrect.
I don't understand why yiou are persisting in denying 'the obvious' ... if the markings on a tape/ruler/whatever have an additional (actually redundant) digit then they must be closer together ('more crowded') and/or of a smaller font. That is a simple fact, and there is no third option.

You may not personally agree that the closer and/or smaller markings render them "not quite so easy to read", but the fact that they are closer and/or smaller is undeniable.

I have looked at the newest length measuring thing I have, it has a vernier scale, with mm one side and inches the other side. No cm shown, it also has a digital display also in mm and inches. Moving to a tape measure, it says 16 feet and 5m it is marked with numbers on the metric side, and a zero is missing for clarity, but since it neither says mm nor cm, the only other mark is F clearly for feet, can't really say marked in cm, even if at 1 meter it says 100, it is simply a zero has been omitted for clarity. It says 1-6 between 18 and 19 at the 18.5 inches mark, but even without an arrow, it is clear that refers to the 18-inch mark.

It does seem only equipment for schools, say cm, with industrial equipment it has gone.

No.
I did no write "things would get more 'crowded' (hence not quite as easy to read)"
That was a quote from JohnW2 and is (demonstrably) incorrect.
That`s what I was saying.
I agreed with John on that one and not with you.

I have looked at the newest length measuring thing I have,
For what it's worth,the top one of the three measuring tapes I showed in my phot was bought only a few days ago - because I went out to do some work and forgot to take any measuring device with me! I think all the ones I looked at in the shop were 'dual scale (metric + Imperial), with the metric markings in cm), none of which seems 'acceptable' to Frodo.

Although it might appear that a lot of 'arguing' has been going on here recently, I think all that we are really seeing are the is differences between Australia and UK (but with attempts to assert that only the Australian situation is 'correct', or even acceptable, anywhere! !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back