Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

Sponsored Links
Okay so fun fact, using a regular 1-gang switch works fine. No dimmed light, nothing... I don't get why the Quinetic switch would cause this though...

Can you borrow 2 or 3 different light bulbs from neighbours? Maybe even an older tungsten one?

From what you have said, it sounds like the wiring is OK, and I guess you have tried using both Quinetic controllers, so the only logical thing remaining is the light bulbs.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I think I'm gonna see if I can get some different types of bulbs to try, maybe that's what it is. Though I do think it's a bit strange that is happens with two different ones already (though in a different way).

Could it be that the rose isn't connected properly? It was originally elsewhere and my father moved it to the center of the room, but I assumed he wired it correctly. To be fair after he moved it, the light switch did work, until he disconnected the one that I don't want to be using anymore.
Is there any way this rose, or any joints that may have been made to relocate it, could have been wired incorrectly?

You only have to get two blacks or whatever the wrong way round for weird things to happen.

Is there any way this rose, or any joints that may have been made to relocate it, could have been wired incorrectly?

You only have to get two blacks or whatever the wrong way round for weird things to happen.

Maybe. I've no idea.

Today my father came over and pulled out the 2nd lightswitch completely, ran a new cable from the rose to the lightswitch end I want. So now there's live going into the rose, live going out (I assume to the next room) and the 3rd cable (2 core+earth) going to the light switch.

Even after all this, normal light-switch works fine but connecting the Quinetic and I still have the residual current problem. I couldn't find any incandescent bulbs anywhere online to buy for obvious reasons and I don't have any lying around. I did buy another LED bulb from a corner shop - same problem.

This got me thinking. Currently, a neutral is going into the switch. The instructions of course say no neutral should go to it. How would this need to be wired at the rose in that case? Would the switch-end neutral need to be sleeved red/brown and then connected to the live-out at the rose? Maybe it's just the wiring is incorrect at the rose as you say.

Here's how the rose is looking currently:

20240715_143447.jpg

20240715_143302.jpg

And the temporary, regular switch:

20240715_143316.jpg

Anything obviously wrong in the rose?

You say there is currently a neutral at the switch.

Surely that's a live feed to and switched live from the switch?

You say there is currently a neutral at the switch.

Surely that's a live feed to and switched live from the switch?
When I say neutral, I simply mean... blue. I'm not an electrician so "switched live" is a difficult concept for me to understand, lol

Assuming the blue at the switch is the switched-live, does the rose wiring look correct at all? I obviously don't know anything about "proper" wiring stuff and as far as I'm aware my father just replaced things like-for-like, but could have gotten something the wrong way around?

If the light turns on and off with a regular switch, it should do the same with the Quinetic controller.

Where are you in the world?

I could send you a couple of filament lamps I still have in stock to try.

The other thing to try is to temporarily fit the Quinetic controller in place of another switch that is operating a single lamp and see if you get the same problem.

could have gotten something the wrong way around?
Well, as I say, if the standard plate switch turns the light in and off and the light bulb doesn't flicker, dim or flash, then it would appear to be wired OK.

If the light turns on and off with a regular switch, it should do the same with the Quinetic controller.

Where are you in the world?

I could send you a couple of filament lamps I still have in stock to try.

The other thing to try is to temporarily fit the Quinetic controller in place of another switch that is operating a single lamp and see if you get the same problem.

Firstly, thanks for the offer but I think it would be silly to make you go out of your way for that - I'll see if my parents may have some at home still. But just for info, I'm in Derby.

Now, the idea of fitting it to a regular 1-gang light elsewhere is a very good idea... what sucks is all of upstairs is drawstring lights but I'm sure i'll be able to figure it out and come back with an update!

So, I went downstairs and replaced the 1-gang in my utility room with the quinetic. The lights worked perfectly fine, though it's worth mentioning they are spotlights - in case that makes any difference... here's a photo of the original switch:

20240715_150231.jpg

and the Quinetic wired up (and working fine):

20240715_150423.jpg

Soo.... I've no idea anymore. Clearly it must be the wiring, somehow?

Currently considering buying a new pendant and wiring that to see if it makes any difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back