New Triton shower leaking from bottom

Replace the PRD. You can get one from Triton or showerdoc.com or other places.
Throw the filter shower head in the bin.
Make sure the original shower head is descaled and put it back on.
Triton showers aren't great to be honest but its not their fault if you fit an aftermarket part that isn't suitable.
Really ? Triton showers always come out one of the best in reviews. You say to replace the PRD, I am not sure if I need the t shaped thing with the disc seals or just the disc seals. The latter you can get 6 for £5.99 on Amazon

You say to throw away the shower head but this did cost almost £35 and again it has great reviews which I find strange. I'll sell it on Marketplace but I still have the problem of chlorinated water coming out of the shower which is terrible in my area.

Sponsored Links
Has that shower head got a stop button and are/were you using it??, if not or it has and you don't use it then there is no way any shower head will cause the PRD to operate, all that should happen is the shower should run hot/cold with TCO (thermal cut out) operating if the flowrate is very low.
When you do "fix" the PRD, turn the temperature control to fully cold and measure the flowrate with the Triton shower head and then with this shower head and compare them, I'd be very surprised if there is much difference.

Last edited:
Its just the disc seal that needs replacing. Can't imagine there is much of a demand for second hand shower heads however great the reviews are but go for it. Triton showers are ok but they are the cheaper end of the market and you get what you pay for. I fit lots in rented properties and really they are not worth repairing so when they pack up after 2-5 years, they just get replaced.
You may be particularly sensitive to chlorine but the levels in mains water are very low and carefully controlled. If you're really concerned about it, perhaps you could look into using a chlorine filter that sits on your incoming supply pipe and screens all your water.
Has that shower head got a stop button and are/were you using it??, if not or it has and you don't use it then there is no way any shower head will cause the PRD to operate, all that should happen is the shower should run hot/cold with TCO (thermal cut out) operating if the flowrate is very low.
I've had the PRD popping due to scaled up shower heads which cut the flow considerably. I've found some of these filter heads to be very restrictive and it wouldn't surprise me if the PRD popped.

Its just the disc seal that needs replacing. Can't imagine there is much of a demand for second hand shower heads however great the reviews are but go for it. Triton showers are ok but they are the cheaper end of the market and you get what you pay for. I fit lots in rented properties and really they are not worth repairing so when they pack up after 2-5 years, they just get replaced.
You may be particularly sensitive to chlorine but the levels in mains water are very low and carefully controlled. If you're really concerned about it, perhaps you could look into using a chlorine filter that sits on your incoming supply pipe and screens all your water.

I've had the PRD popping due to scaled up shower heads which cut the flow considerably. I've found some of these filter heads to be very restrictive and it wouldn't surprise me if the PRD popped.
I have a Triton T80 and its own head gives a flowrate of 7.8LPM and a cheap Lidl showerhead that I use on a gravity shower, when installed on the Triton, flows 7.0LPM, you can run any shower on one element and in the debths of winter, the flowrate has to be as low as 1.9LPM to give a showering temp of 40C.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The PRD is on the outlet. When you reduce the flow rate before the PRD as you do when turning down the flow control, there will be little or no change to the pressure acting on the PRD. A blocked or restrictive shower head is slowing the flow after all the internal components including the PRD and the pressure on those internal components will increase.

Yes, thats correct and thats why I suggested checking the flowrates with the temperature control turned to fully cold. I wonder what pressure does the PRD blow at, both Mira and Triton suggest that the max flowrate of say 8LPM should be achieved with a pressure of 1.0bar at the shower but that certainly doesnt hold true for the Triton or didn't for my previous Mira Sport, its more like 5.0 LPM at 1.0bar.

In 2011, a Triton Jade shower PRD was blowing at 20PSI (1.38bar).

It does have a button to stop water flow and the filter shower head causes a greater amount of water to gush out the bottom of the relief value than the Triton. I have purchased a 6 pack so perhaps worth cleaning the shower heads of possible scale and trying the filter once again making sure the button isn't pressed. Since washing with chlorinated water my hair is definitely in worse condition. Why they add this without choice is ridiculous.

It does have a button to stop water flow and the filter shower head causes a greater amount of water to gush out the bottom of the relief value than the Triton. I have purchased a 6 pack so perhaps worth cleaning the shower heads of possible scale and trying the filter once again making sure the button isn't pressed. Since washing with chlorinated water my hair is definitely in worse condition. Why they add this without choice is ridiculous.
If you press the stop button or its in the stopped position then in either case it means instant PRD blowing so you should try and disable the stop button if possible, re chlorinated water, the type of shower head shouldnt matter except this new one has some type of filter built in?.
EDIT: I see it has a built in filter, you simply cannot use this shower head on a electric shower IMO

Last edited:
I have a brand new Triton Aspirante of Feb this year and it has started to drip quite rapidly from a tiny hole underneath the unit next to the hose connector. The only thing I have changed is a new filter shower head from Amazon that takes out all the chlorine and other muck. I have changed it back to the original shower head that came with the Triton and it is vastly reduced but still drips a little.

Any clues as to what is happening and why has it failed so soon ?

Thanks

Your not having much luck.

First; the shower screen
Then; the sink trap.
Now; the shower.

Is there a common link?

If you press the stop button or its in the stopped position then in either case it means instant PRD blowing so you should try and disable the stop button if possible, re chlorinated water, the type of shower head shouldnt matter except this new one has some type of filter built in?.
EDIT: I see it has a built in filter, you simply cannot use this shower head on a electric shower IMO
So in that case no showers then as they are all electric. The ad doesn't state that it can't be used on electric showers.

They do and it seems endless sometimes.

Are these Leaks as a result of the same plumber or builders?
The shower head is my purchase after it was installed. The other 2 were the same person, the sink I managed to fix by tightening the joints. The main reason for leaking under the shower screen turns out to be the excess of water dripping from the broken shower valve. Hopefully when I fix it with the new part it will be much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back