NI Protocol - Windsor Framework

Sponsored Links
He has a track record of beating Labour to be fair.
not really, Johnson just beat Old Corbs

Johnson didn’t last one term

and Starmer played a blinder in getting him facing the privileges Committee

Sponsored Links
Is the DUP still going? Can it hold UK, Ireland and the EU to ransom for ever?

Will any future UK PM try to make May's mistake of paying billions for their support?

Getting someone who has been fired for lying twice to do it again isn't really that impressive.
Surely, people with ethics wouldn't even consider him worthy to even have a chance, and wouldn't consider it under any circumstances.

Ethics though. Anybody brave enough to say they support him and want him back, even with his known history?

I don't see this giving the Tories a long term boost, in any event. They might be overestimating how much people in the rest of the UK are aware of, or care about, the importing problems in Northern Ireland.
I have to agree with that.
People only about care about issues that affect them personally.

Is the DUP still going? Can it hold UK, Ireland and the EU to ransom for ever?

Will any future UK PM try to make May's mistake of paying billions for their support?
The reporting today implied strongly that they didn't have a Veto on the <traditional English name> Framework.

Forcing it through despite the DUP might cause pain but is it going to be more than keeping this drama going for the rest of time?

Forcing it through despite the DUP might cause pain but is it going to be more than keeping this drama going for the rest of time?
Scapegoating Unionists doesn't work.
They aren't the problem.
That is why this debacle just goes on and on.
Any alleged concessions by the EU are due to their need for British support for the war in Ukraine.
The EU have already admitted that.
Well, every cloud has a silver lining.

I hope so.

What is the DUP proposal to fix all this? Do they have one. I've forgotten, because it's so long since I thought about this stuff. Below are the DUP's seven red lines (copied from the Belfast Telegraph). As far as I can see, the only way to satisfy all of these in full, would be for the EU to completely ignore/forget that they have a land border with Northern Ireland.

1. Fulfil Article 6 of the Acts of Union
  2. Avoid any diversion of trade
  3. Not set up an effective border in the Irish Sea between Ireland and the UK
  4. Give the people of NI a say in making laws that govern them
  5. Result in ‘no checks on goods going from NI to GB or from GB to NI’ (and remaining in NI)
  6. Ensure no new regulatory borders develop between NI and the rest of the UK
  7. Preserve the letter and spirit of NI’s constitutional guarantee in the Belfast Agreement by requiring consent from a majority of its citizens for any diminution of its status as part of the UK

Scapegoating Unionists doesn't work.
They aren't the problem.
That is why this debacle just goes on and on.
Any alleged concessions by the EU are due to their need for British support for the war in Ukraine.
The EU have already admitted that.
Well, every cloud has a silver lining.
They blocked any sensible deals before. They've even blocked Stormont because they threw their teddies out the pram.

No wonder their voter base is disappearing

Sponsored Links
Back