Notting Hill Carnival!

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Because the number of crimes committed has remained stubbornly high over the decades – eight stabbings this year, 349 arrests and 61 incidents where officers were assaulted – police argue for a tougher approach.
I wonder how many of the arrested will be fast tracked through the justice system with a 3year plus sentence thrown in for good measure?

Sponsored Links
The comparable data still stand, even with the updated data.
Number of arrests for this year' carnival - 350
Number of visitors over two days - 2,000,000

Notting Hill Carnival Arrest rate per 100,000 people - 17.5 arrests per 100,000 people.
Normal UK arrest rate per 100,000 people - 1,120 per 100,00 people.
Normal arrest rate for Black people in UK - 2,040 per 100,000 people.
The data shows that, in the year to March 2023: there were 668,979 arrests in England and Wales – a rate of 11.2 arrests for every 1,000 people.
Number of Arrest for Rio Carnival 2023 - 1,853
Number of attendees, 2,000,000 per day over 6 days = 12,000,000
Arrest Rate per 100,000 people - 15 per 100,000 people

It's looking like carnivals are uncommonly safe spaces, in comparison with normal day to day events.

I wonder how many of the arrested will be fast tracked through the justice system with a 3year plus sentence thrown in for good measure?
There's no need, the Carnival has finished, there's no chance of copy-cat crimes at the Notting Hill Carnival 2024.

A number have been charged with violent disorder = ~3years if someone pleads guilty. Same charge as most of the rioter. More arrests of those now but a couple of weeks before being sentenced.

Interesting conversation today with a met police officer.
Apparently the crime figures for carnival are not within an area, let's say a mile from notting hill station.
The figures included in the carnival only take into consideration some roads, so if a crime is committed by a carnival goer but on a road not listed in the met carnival area, it won't be included.
I wonder if it's true, sounded a bit complicated.

Anyhow, I went to the carnival Sunday and monday and mainly remained in the latimer road/ladbroke grove area.
I saw a few drunk collapsing and a few hoodeed clowns pretending to be gangsters, but overall, 99% of people were very decent and having a good time, especially yesterday.
Differently from other years when a very large number of attendees were troublemakers, face covered, hood and most likely, weapons.
This year it felt a lot safer, despite the numbers.
Maybe I was lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back