Please help. Light curcuit issue (Diagram attached)

I will try this thanks.
Wasnt sure if some of the black switched lives had to be in a live or neutral at the light. So i will put in the neutral port.
And those 2 extra "loop in loop out" wires u speak of. I had no other lights which is odd. They run off upstairs somewhere... will test all soon. I think one of the switched lives was loose at K2 so the circuit only activated when living room switch was on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't forget a neutral wire will become 'live' if they become disconnected.

At the lights I would think all the black wires are neutrals, and the reds are (switched) lives - seeing your updated diagram.

Hang on. If the power runs directly to the first light then to other lights and the switch.
Those lights are live until I turn the breaker off? Is this safe?

Sponsored Links
If we try to work out what was there 1720869982640.png you can see four wires to the switches. I have numbered the wires 1 to 4, two are line in, and two are line out. You can see the wires join, this may be at a ceiling rose, or anywhere else, we don't know, you have the right idea drawing it out, but your drawing does not show which wires are permanent line.

I linked to Wiki, you have standard drawings of how normally wired there. The picture I am showing was taken from Wiki.

You may now have a bracket with a hole where wires come out of the ceiling, but likely before that was fitted there would have been a ceiling rose.

If we try to work out what was there View attachment 348887 you can see four wires to the switches. I have numbered the wires 1 to 4, two are line in, and two are line out. You can see the wires join, this may be at a ceiling rose, or anywhere else, we don't know, you have the right idea drawing it out, but your drawing does not show which wires are permanent line.

I linked to Wiki, you have standard drawings of how normally wired there. The picture I am showing was taken from Wiki.

You may now have a bracket with a hole where wires come out of the ceiling, but likely before that was fitted there would have been a ceiling rose.
Apologies if I am wrong, but your diagram shows 3 plate wiring, and the original poster appears to have 2 plate wiring.
And he had a bridging wire at the 2 gang switch.
Trying to transfer a 3 plate diagram to a 2 plate system is going to be a headache.
We don't want to confuse the original poster.
Sorry if I have misunderstood.

For the lights to function, yes; to lick, no.
But are you talking licking the bulb itself or the wire. Because I can only see me doing one of those things in the future.

But in all seriousness, a black wire running from one light to another as their only connection. Is surely a live? So connects to the L on both lights?

Apologies if I am wrong, but your diagram shows 3 plate wiring, and the original poster appears to have 2 plate wiring.
We don't want to confuse the original poster.
Sorry if I have misunderstood.
This seems to be why i find it hard to find things online. So the terminology is 2 plate then.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the same way a traditional conduit system would have been done.

So what have done now then?
All the lights connected?
Lounge switch connected as it was?
Kitchen switch left how?

But are you talking licking the bulb itself or the wire. Because I can only see me doing one of those things in the future.

But in all seriousness, a black wire running from one light to another as their only connection. Is surely a live? So connects to the L on both lights?
Hang on, why do you think a black wire IN YOUR HOUSE is a live? Send a pic.

Yes, it's the same way a traditional conduit system would have been done.

So what have done now then?
All the lights connected?
Lounge switch connected as it was?
Kitchen switch left how?
Out for lunch will try put back together in 2 hours.

i assumed it was live as it was the only wire con connecting 2 lights. K2 and L1 on diagram.
I did have it in neutral originally though and it all half worked

1)Put all your lights back on the ceiling, connect the cables as per the colour of their inner insulation, red to live, black to neutral, all earths to earth.

2)At the switch get some connector block and put all four cables in one block, now switch on the power, do all the lights come on?
And connect the lounge switch back as it was.

Did you do this?
If so, did it all the lights come on?
And with the lounge switch fitted, did the lounge light work correctly?

Did the 2 gang switch control both kitchen lights separately?
It looks like the two kitchen lights came on together on one switch.

If so, what does the other switch do?

Is there an outside light or something else we've over-looked?

Last edited:
And connect the lounge switch back as it was.

Did you do this?
If so, did it all the lights come on?
And with the lounge switch fitted, did the lounge light work correctly?

Did the 2 gang switch control both kitchen lights separately?
It looks like the two kitchen lights came on together on one switch.

If so, what does the other switch do?

Is there an outside light or something else we've over-looked?
I wired all the lights back up...
Turns out k2 had a snapped wire in the light which messed up the whole circuit.
In the end the two wires in the switch I couldnt identify must have been the returns for the switched lives? after pairing the others up and deducing which was live and which went to other switch (and colour coding wires best I could) and putting the unknowns in the L1 ports it worked as intended*

*and by intended I mean they work. But as you said sparkwright. Only on the one switch.
I guess its a 2 gang as they needed to bridge power to the living room switch. Seems badly designed.

Next step is to work out how those switched lives are connected. And somehow make them work on their own switch. (The kitchen 2 gang)

How does one turn a 2 plate 2 light circuit into something that works on 2 switches not 1

Ps thanks for all the help.
Lesson learnt. Buy live wire testers and a better multimeter. take photos pre light removal, and label wires.
20240715_201013.jpg
20240715_201005.jpg
20240713_092325.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back