Pointless vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Again, it comes back to cognitive bias, you're not seeing any alternative could be possible because you are biased against such a possibility or outcome. Not everyone sees things the same way as you do. Not everyone needs to have a range of variables considered to make a decision. For some people a single issue is enough to swing their vote.

I'm not sure where I mentioned anything about data available to the person. I mentioned the likelihood of someones choice based on their education. You said "Why are so many so poorly informed". I said this is your presumption because they didn't vote the way you did, this is evident here:

If they don't vote the way I vote they can't be well enough informed to vote. - Cognitive bias.

You like to talk about racism alot, this is very much the same idea. You believe a certain type of person must be of a stereotype for you to believe the premise.

What? You have me mistaken with someone else or your bias is running wild. I bring up racism all the time?

As to cognitive bias:

A cognitive bias (e.g. Ariely, 2008) is a systematic (non-random) error in thinking, in the sense that a judgment deviates from what would be considered desirable from the perspective of accepted norms or correct in terms of formal logic.

So if I had a cognitive bias then you would have to show people are actually well informed?

No deal could work, but not how it’s currently envisioned. It can work IMO by becoming a rogue member and establish everything necessary to leave successfully in a no deal scenario. Effectively breaking many EU rules along the way.

1 cancel a50
2 implement restrictions on free movement in breach
3 negotiating necessary trade deals in breach
4 refusing to pay or submit to fines, courts

Storm before calm negotiation approach.

before anyone says it madness - look at some of the many disputes already in process and the lack of teeth shown. e.g greece, italy, hungry.

rogue states tend to get away with rather a lot and their negotiating strength is high.

I like it. We go full on Rogue Nation. I wonder what would happen to UK Bonds and gilt yields - hmm would the UK still honour its commitments? Default insurance would rocket and the market would hit a liquidity trap.

Let alone the currency effect.

Did you just cite a study of 12-16 year olds below GCSE level to prop up an argument about the outcome of a referendum and the presumption that people at tertiary level of education voted differently to those who left school without continuation of their educational development?

You do realise 100% of school children will sit GCSE examinations, 32.6% went to university last year but 48% of the electorate still some how managed to vote remain?

Sponsored Links
Education level doesnt necessarily correlate to common sense either......
+1 Education level doesn't seem to bring broad political insight either. Remember how loudly the politicians, academics and journalists crowed about the wonders of communism and the statism that was being birthed in the Soviet Union, and Romania, and China, and Vietnam, and Venezuela... The Soviets called them useful idiots. And politicians are some of the most educated people around (how often do we complain that they all went to Oxbridge and Eton?) and look how knowledgeable, informed and competent they turn out to be. People who think they know better than everyone else can't wait to run other people's lives. There's a few of them on this forum...

Last edited:
I like it. We go full on Rogue Nation. I wonder what would happen to UK Bonds and gilt yields - hmm would the UK still honour its commitments? Default insurance would rocket and the market would hit a liquidity trap.

Let alone the currency effect.

I doubt there would be the impact you suggest. But nobody can say either way.

I doubt there would be the impact you suggest. But nobody can say either way.

So can you tell me why our credit rating was downgraded post Brexit vote?

Why have the rating agencies warned about downgrades if we have a disorderly exit or don't pay our bill? What you propose is a unilateral approach which would unsettle the markets.

+1 Education level doesn't seem to bring broad political insight either. Remember how loudly the politicians, academics and journalists crowed about the wonders of communism and the statism that was being birthed in the Soviet Union, and Romania, and China, and Vietnam, and Venezuela... The Soviets called them useful idiots. And politicians are some of the most educated people around (how often do we complain that they all went to Oxbridge and Eton?) and look how knowledgeable, informed and competent they turn out to be. People who think they know better than everyone else can't wait to run other people's lives. There's a few of them on this forum...

Which Academics? Was it a majority opinion across all academics?

What happened to the money gordon brown seized under the anti-terror legislation, which was held by icelandic banks?

Genuine question.
Brown never seized any actual money, he merely invoked anti-terror legislation in order to try and do so...

The following is a simplified version of consequent events:

The Icelandic people were then erroneously held in default of debts accrued by their private banks, and that was proved to be illegal in the European court that the UK is still signed up to.

In the meantime the Icelandic president instigated not one but two referendums to essentially ask the Icelandic people whether they should cover the debt or whether it fell to the assets of the private banks...

Both referendums decided it was the banks who should pay, and at the threat of imprisonment bankers started to reveal the money trail...

As a result Iceland paid back the Icesave debts, the emergency loans, and the IMF from bank assets...

This even in the early days - an 'unusual' approach that was under reported!

IMF Survey: Iceland's Unorthodox Policies Suggest Alternative Way Out of Crisis

Two things stick out:

1. When countries have a clear strategy in mind, as was the case in Iceland, it becomes much easier for the IMF to engage and provide policy support and advice.
2. Iceland set an example by managing to preserve, and even strengthen, its welfare state during the crisis.

As opposed to the UK approach which was to protect the banks/corporates, and saddle the UK population with a debt that they will never be able to pay!

No doubt there will be no shortage of the usual suspects here claiming that Iceland is a raving extreme communist disaster zone.

Or that it's the policies of left-wing governments like the Tories to implement austerity.

Or that it was all Jeremy Corbyn's fault anyway.

With 230,000 inhabitants, they could hardly have voted to bail out the banks.

I’ve been there a few times it’s very expensive, an overrated tourist trap and due to the light a bit dull/grim most days.

Plus you must choose a state approved name when you have kids. No Jaydens or kylies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back