Safeguarding radius when installing cables

Gigabit isn't exactly high speed these days, and if you're doing anything with the cables except connecting to a broadband router (e.g. networking between systems) I'd have thought you'd want to run at 1Gb?

Sponsored Links
I think it's pushing twisted pair cables more-or-less to their limit, isn't it?

My grey hairs grow out of a head that recalls the time when getting 1 mega bits ( 100 kilo bytes at 10 bits per byte ) along twisted pair reliably was a challenge.

My grey hairs grow out of a head that recalls the time when getting 1 mega bits ( 100 kilo bytes at 10 bits per byte ) along twisted pair reliably was a challenge.
I suspect that my grey hairs grow out of a head at least as old as yours. I can recall repeatedly hearing that we were 'approaching the limit' of transmission speed that would possibly be achieved over the PSTN's twisted pairs. When I was using 110 and 300 Baud (bps) modems (I guess in the early 80s), the limit was said to be 1200 Baud. Then 2400 and, if I recall, a particularly strong belief that 9600 Baud (0.0096 mbps) was probably going to prove to be the 'ultimate barrier'! Admittedly, although it certainly wasn't the case when I was using 110/300 Baud modems, by that time I actually had a hard disk in my computer - albeit only 10 MB (i.e. 0.00001 GB for the benefit of the youngsters!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In all fairness, the article was posted to their website in March 2000 - over 11 years ago. It's hardly going to be a great install, is it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that seems to suggest a bandwidth or 100 MHz for cat5/cat5e and the highest bandwidth for any twisted pair cable (Cat8) as being 1.2 GHz - which is roughly what I would have expected.

Kind Regards, John

Although I am most definitely not a pro network installer, I do wire these things up sometimes as part of my job, and quite frankly I am surprised those terminations will carry data at all :eek:

Not so much the bend radius I'd be worried about as the fact that the wires are meant to be kept twisted and as short as possible (and you don't use screw terminals for data - that's what IDC tools are for). I bet that socket won't even reliably carry data at 100 or 10mbps.

Although I am most definitely not a pro network installer, I do wire these things up sometimes as part of my job, and quite frankly I am surprised those terminations will carry data at all :eek:
Not so much the bend radius I'd be worried about as the fact that the wires are meant to be kept twisted and as short as possible (and you don't use screw terminals for data - that's what IDC tools are for). I bet that socket won't even reliably carry data at 100 or 10mbps.
Indeed. As I said, I would not have really have expected bend radius to be the speed-limiting factor, particularly with the sort of screw terminals illustrated. That doesn't alter the fact that I'm pretty amazed that one can 100 mbps down any appreciable length of twisted pair (regardless of what's on the ends of it), let alone 1000 mbps - but one can!

Kind Regards, John.

No.

Typical glib remark without any back up or educational notation for those that wish to believe you.

Let's be very clear about this, anything over 1 Gb is wasted on home use.

The majority of the home all in one hub routers don't support those speeds, DIY cable work and untrained termination won't allow those speeds.

So for a pointless installation at home to obtain 1 Gb speeds.

Buy a 1 GB hub
Buy Cat 7 cable
Buy Cat 7 terminals
Buy Cat 7 patch and fly leads
Buy Cat 7 patch panels
Buy 1 GB LAN cards

Buy a 2 day course via RW Date, Sysmax, etc

Test with a Cat 7 grade pentascanner unit

Absolutely pointless !

Maybe (just) the OP could justify Cat 7 cable to future proof the cable element of the work.

Reason I have not suggested Cat 6, is simply because it "can support up to 1Gb not 1 Gb or over 1 GB.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that seems to suggest a bandwidth or 100 MHz for cat5/cat5e and the highest bandwidth for any twisted pair cable (Cat8) as being 1.2 GHz - which is roughly what I would have expected.

Kind Regards, John
Umm..

xMhz bandwidth ≠ xMbit data rate.

No.

Typical glib remark without any back up or educational notation for those that wish to believe you.
It is not glib, just a simple and completely accurate statement of fact - 1Gb is not pushing twisted pair cables more-or-less to their limit.

Let's be very clear about this, anything over 1 Gb is wasted on home use.
I never said it wasn't. In fact I never talked about 10Gb at all.

So for a pointless installation at home to obtain 1 Gb speeds.

Buy a 1 GB hub
Buy Cat 7 cable
Buy Cat 7 terminals
Buy Cat 7 patch and fly leads
Buy Cat 7 patch panels
Buy 1 GB LAN cards

Buy a 2 day course via RW Date, Sysmax, etc

Test with a Cat 7 grade pentascanner unit

Absolutely pointless !
Your last observation is so true.

It is absolutely pointless to install Cat7 cabling to get to 1Gb.

Cat5 will do it.

Maybe (just) the OP could justify Cat 7 cable to future proof the cable element of the work.
Could he?

To do what with it?

Reason I have not suggested Cat 6, is simply because it "can support up to 1Gb not 1 Gb or over 1 GB.
Cat6 will do 10Gb.

What was that about glib remarks without any back up or educational notation for those that wish to believe you?

Trays, copex, slots in brickwork... keep the tips coming :) Have at last found a cable routing how-to:

http://www.dbsinstall.com/whatis/Whatisgood-4.asp

but they radius a cable (note the shadow) into a wall unprotected:

http://www.dbsinstall.com/N-images/Whatis/driploop-2.jpg

ready to collapse at the first touch, just like ours :( (NB not my handiwork)

What does the team recommend for external trunking that looks OK on residential brickwork? Have found Cableready but not found a retailer, and ideally need a flat profile. Any advance on white PVC channeling/capping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back