Safeguarding radius when installing cables

Sponsored Links
If the foil is aluminium and the sheath PVC then the minimum bend radius is 35mm ..... If copper foil and PE sheath then it is 70mm
If that two-fold difference is dependent only on the materials used for the foil and sheath, doesn't it beg the question as to what this 'minimum radius' is actually all about?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that seems to suggest a bandwidth or 100 MHz for cat5/cat5e and the highest bandwidth for any twisted pair cable (Cat8) as being 1.2 GHz - which is roughly what I would have expected.
Umm.. xMhz bandwidth ≠ xMbit data rate.
I realise that, but I thought (maybe wrongly) that the rule of thumb was that one should not expect/try to get a bitrate much more than three times the bandwidth - i.e. something like 300 Mbps for a bandwidth of 100 MHz for cat5/cat5e.

Kind Regards, John

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair#Most_common_cable_categories
If you look back through this thread, you'll see that I have acknowledged that cat5 cable is used, apparently successfully, for 1 Gbps - but that I am amazed that this works over any significant distance (particularly with some of the terminations used) and feel that this speed must be 'pushing the limit' of the capabilities of cat5/cat5e cable.

I also wonder how many people who think they are getting 1 Gbps in domestic installations really are; as has been pointed out, the hardware/firmware will usually autoswitch to a slower speed when necessary. .. and also wonder whether (and, if so, why) anyone really needs such a speed in a domestic environment.

The other thing which has been absent from this discussion is any consideration of length of cables, which is a crucial part of the equation, as it is for any transmission line. With short paths, such as will often be the case domestically, it's obviously much easier to get high data transfer rates.

Kind Regards, John.

. and also wonder whether (and, if so, why) anyone really needs such a speed in a domestic environment.

Uploading simultaneous HD CCTV signals to a NAS could be one.....

I plan to setup a gigabit network in my house as I'm looking have a central server and pull files off it.

. and also wonder whether (and, if so, why) anyone really needs such a speed in a domestic environment.
I suppose that could be one reason - but it's hardly a common domestic requirement

I plan to setup a gigabit network in my house as I'm looking have a central server and pull files off it.
I have such a network, with the server serving about a dozen computers in a very large house, but 100 mpbs seems to do fine for that, at least for me.

Kind Regards, John.

I suppose that could be one reason - but it's hardly a common domestic requirement

More and more homes are now getting CCTV though.

I think the point is if you're going to go to all the expense and hassle of fitting a network system, seems silly to not go that little bit extra and make it gigabit compliant.

I have such a network, with the server serving about a dozen computers in a very large house, but 100 mpbs seems to do fine for that, at least for me.

Kind Regards, John.

I often tend to work with files of the 100s mb size so at non gigabit speeds would take forever and like I said, seems silly not to get the most out of the kit you're installing.

Sometimes the data travelling over an over engineered network is like a Ford Zodiac being driven round a Formula One race track. Slow and keeps breaking down if driven flat out.

It not un-common to find that slowing the data bit rate results in faster file transfer as less pakets are corrupt and far fewer repeats are needed.

More and more homes are now getting CCTV though.
True, although multichannel HD CCTV must be pretty rare domestically.

I think the point is if you're going to go to all the expense and hassle of fitting a network system, seems silly to not go that little bit extra and make it gigabit compliant.
I can't argue with the concept of having a somewhat future-proof infrastructure - but, as has been said, properly installed cat5 cable is theoretically OK for 1 Gbps, and it would be reasonable to instal to that capability (with tthe future in mind, if nothing else).

One thing to watch with attempts at future-proofing is that the technology is changing so rapidly. In 10 years time,we might all be using optical cables rather than TP ones, so even cat8 might then be obsolete. ... and, of course, 'state of the art' things are often very expensive until 'the future' comes and they become the high-volume-sales norm. I once filled my house with 'thick ethernet' cables, at quite appreciable cost.

I often tend to work with files of the 100s mb size so at non gigabit speeds would take forever and like I said, seems silly not to get the most out of the kit you're installing.
If you frequently have to move files that large, then maybe you do have that need, but I'd suggest that is also a pretty rare domestic situation. After all, with a network actually functioning at just 100 Mbps, one can theoretically shift at the rate of about 100 MB every 8 seconds, which is good enough for most people. Furthermore, as I said before, I wonder how many 'gigabit installations' actually achieve anything like that speed in practice; as Bernard has suggested, with imperfect infrastructure, and the consequent need for a lot of error correction (or even auto-switching to lower speeds), 'more haste can mean less speed'!

Kind Regards, John.

external trunking that looks OK on residential brickwork?
There's no such thing.
No-one has contradicted you B-A-S... no... so thanks for the wisdom. I suppose I should route on the inside if possible until up out of harms way.
Whilst it may well be true that nothing is actually sold as 'exterior trunking', there is obviously any number of ways that one could cover/protect/'hide' cables on external walls.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back