Should multinationals and multibillionaires pay fair tax?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Quite a lot of people say yes. But they don't. After all, they have the ability to pretend their profits are magically somewhere else, and they can afford to buy politicians and mass media to try to sway public opinion. They even threaten to flee the world and take our money with them.

Interestingly, the US government is having a go (this is quite long, if you lack energy, try the first paragraph, and the last one).

Remember that every pound not paid by a billionaire is a pound off our public services, or a pound the rest of us have to pay.

"A decade-long dispute between Coca-Cola and the US tax authorities has escalated to the point that the company could owe $16bn in back taxes, enough to wipe out a year and a half of profits, with the figure rising by more than $1bn a year.

The soft-drink maker has been hiding “astronomical levels” of profit in low-tax countries including Ireland to shield it from the US Internal Revenue Service, according to a withering court judgment, which the company is planning to appeal against later this year.

The mounting stakes have been visible only in the fine print of Coke’s regulatory filings in recent years, thanks to a quirk of accounting rules.

After the last in a four-year string of tax court decisions last week, Coke will shortly have to fork out an initial $6bn in cash to cover unpaid taxes and interest for the years 2007 to 2009. But neither that sum, nor the $10bn it could owe for the subsequent 15 years, will show up as a hit to its earnings any time soon.

As long as the Atlanta-based company and its longtime auditor EY agree that there is a better than 50-50 chance of Coke winning on appeal, payments do not have to be put through its profit and loss account.

If Coke has misjudged its chances of winning, a loss would not just wipe out the past year and half of net income; the IRS would be able to impose a higher US tax bill for years to come, adding 3.5 percentage points to a global tax rate that was 17.4 per cent last year, by the company’s estimate.

.The stakes are also high for the US government. The $16bn could cover the IRS budget for a year, and the stand-off with Coke is a test of the agency’s ability to pursue complicated cases at a time when it has promised to get tough on corporate tax avoidance."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
If they are obeying the laws laid out and are paying what's due, then they are paying their fair share, probably more than all on here. If they are using tax efficient saving schemes, then again, all above board so no problem. If they are tax dodging and not avoiding, then they should be prosecuted. If you look down the page, you can see JohnD has asked this question many times. Maybe the proposed 8% NI for pensioners may help in his treatment.

If you look down the page, you can see JohnD has asked this question many times.
If you search my posts, you can see the number of times I’ve asked JohnD to define what he calls 'tax dodging'. If you search his posts, you will see that despite him accusing others of 'tax dodging', he will not define it. I suspect he means 'tax avoidance - legally avoiding tax' but is mindful of the fact that he does that too (as do we all) which is why he clams up when asked. Let’s try again, just to prove a point: @JohnD , what do you mean by "tax dodging"?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd say that anyone who took money from the public purse for subsidising 'work' that they admitted that they weren't going to do anyway is fraud...

And then boasting about it being 'holiday money' means that person doesn't give a sh*t about anyone but himself!

It matters not the scale of the fraud, whether it be £1 or £100m...

It is still fraud!

Personally I'd say that anyone who took money from the public purse for subsidising 'work' that they admitted that they weren't going to do anyway is fraud...

And then boasting about it being 'holiday money' means that person doesn't give a sh*t about anyone but himself!

It is still fraud!

Hi ellal,

How are your 2 "Doctor Sons" doing..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

It is still fraud!
Perhaps someone who does that should take a leaf out of your ‘moral code' book. Are you okay with that?
That said I live by MY commercial moral code...which is that I will decide what is right or wrong, as long as I am willing to face up to any possible consequences...

Hi ellal,

How are your 2 "Doctor Sons" doing..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Surely 3 by now - the other one that rejected Oxford university's offer of a degree course and chose to study abroad must be nearly qualified, surely?

Dont think anyone would disagree that they should be, but what is fair share 98% like we had in 70`s that caused a drop in revenue like a 5p drop a few years back increased revenue .
Would an even lower rate result in far more revenue as people /companies could not be arsed hiding it for the small gain .
But then again JOHND only has a small gain from his avoidance and still chooses to do it , hard to guess peoples level of greed

Dont think anyone would disagree that they should be, but what is fair share 98% like we had in 70`s that caused a drop in revenue like a 5p drop a few years back increased revenue .
Would an even lower rate result in far more revenue as people /companies could not be arsed hiding it for the small gain .
But then again JOHND only has a small gain from his avoidance and still chooses to do it , hard to guess peoples level of greed
As I say, 'fair' is totally subjective therefore, even more so on a GD forum such as this one, agreement will never be reached ;)

Still eating my popcorn ...

5p drop a few years back increased revenue .
Additional rate taxpayers paid £37.5 billion in tax in 2011-12, up from £34.5 billion in 2010-11. Again, a large part of that rise is likely to reflect incomes in 2010-11 being depressed by the unwinding of the forestalling. The tax collected from this group of taxpayers in 2011-12 was less than HMRC predicted in their April 2013 projections.

When tax changes are announced ahead of time it can be rather tricky to find out the effect as people mess around to suite,

Perhaps someone who does that should take a leaf out of your ‘moral code' book. Are you okay with that?
PMSL...

Nothing like the same and you know it...

But I have to admit it's admirable the amount of your life you spend wasting time searching through years of other people posts...

Only for you to time and time again show yourself up and not contribute to a topic...

But keep up your good work, as it is always good to have a laugh in troubled times :)

Sponsored Links
Back