Snap election

Softus said:
bolo said:
Agree? These are examples of similar, but in no way identical, scenarios.
No. I think they're perfect analogies apropos the word "almost".

So do I Softus, so do I, but that is not what you said in your posting. You said that 'my quote' viz, 'your quotes 1,2 and 3'.

No one would reply to the statement "I nearly broke the speed limit" with "Really? Nearly marry Kylie Minogue? I didn't even that you were dating her".

Sponsored Links
Arguably I didn't, but that's beside the point; well, it's not my point anyway.

What would have been lost from your sentence if you'd left out "almost"? At first glance I suspect it would be nothing, but you used the word for a reason, and one that I think is subliminal. Perish the thought that I should presume to know what reason - maybe you do? ;)

BTW....

bolo said:
No one would reply to the statement "I nearly broke the speed limit" with "Really? Nearly marry Kylie Minogue? I didn't even that you were dating her".
I think you read the three statements as if they were a dialogue, but they were just a list of three random things that were supposed to demonstrate the unnecessary (but tempting) use of the words "almost" and "nearly".

Subliminal? How wrong can you be? I used the word 'almost' because although our style of government is, on the face of it, 'almost' presidential we do not elect a president!

As for your three statements, of course I knew what you were getting at. It was simply your use of viz. Good night.

bolo said:
Subliminal? How wrong can you be?
On occasions like this, very.

I used the word 'almost' because although our style of government is, on the face of it, 'almost' presidential we do not elect a president!
I guess that I disagree with you on it being almost (sic.) presidential, on the grounds that our constitution is nothing like those of countries that have presidents.

It was simply your use of viz. Good night.
Looking back it seems that I b*ggered up that post - a result of some chopping and changing that resulted the use of "viz" being incorrect. I sincerely thank you for pointing it out, so that I can add it to my list of grammatical errors that I've ever made. Once every forty odd years isn't too bad. ;)

Sponsored Links
christ youre the only one on here who is poshman. I think certain other people could be capable of being politicians. they waffle lots but say nothing.

Thermo said:
christ youre the only one on here who is poshman. I think certain other people could be capable of being politicians. they waffle lots but say nothing.

Well said Thermo. I being one of them, offer my sincere apologies. This was your topic , not mine and I allowed myself to be sidetracked by Methuselah. However, it is good to see that you have now got it back on track again using my own inept contributions.

ps I see that this morning Gordon is moving ahead in the popularity
stakes. Clearly Joe Public is beginning to realise that you can't send a
boy to do a man's job.

Back