Stop the Yachts

The Guardian has started a live tracker thread to keep up with the search for six people still missing, including Mike Lynch, but it's hard to see anyone surviving the storm - turns out it was a waterspout* that caused the terrible damage.
The fact that it had an incredibly tall mast may figure. 1/2 an ear to the news - it may turn out that the boat was registered to Lynch's wife's company. Fairly sure that is what I heard but 1/2 an ear. The bloke is a sad loss in his field. He had just got through being sued by HP after being extradited where they found he wasn't guilty. Or the other guy concerned. He sold his company to them. 11b probably $. Not sure what others he may have but the court actions have held him back so he was looking forwards to getting on with what he does.

Ya gotta wonder...
LOL I thought that might crop up. HP? more likely a fluke.

Sponsored Links
Bayesian was the 2nd tallest Sailing Yacht, Tallest overall with an Aluminium mast. Most yachts of this size are multi-mast or ketch (smaller main mast, with a mizzen and possibly a spanker)
It was registered to a company owned by his wife, thats quite common as it allows wife-co to bill hubby-co for the "charter". Thus the boat becomes a business expense.

As to if HP had a hand in it? ...Only if they supplied the hardware.

Well Katja Chicken is one of the survivors but the chef won't be cooking tonight after his body was found...still no sign of the owner.

Luca Mercalli, president of Italy’s meteorological society, said the sea surface temperature around Sicily in the days leading up to the shipwreck was about 30 degrees Celsius, almost three degrees more than normal. Karsten Borner, the captain of a boat that was moored alongside the Bayesian but escaped harm, said Monday’s storm had been “very violent, very intense, a lot of water and I think a turning system like a tornado”. “The water is ... way too hot for the Mediterranean and this causes for sure heavy storms, like we had one week ago on the Balearics, like we had two years ago in Corsica and so on.”

One of those suggesting an extraordinary coincidence of different circumstances, all occurring in rapid succession, is the celebrated yachtsman and author Skip Novak, a well known figure in ocean racing who has sailed extensively in Arctic and Antarctic waters. Novak told the Guardian: “My theory with what little is out there is when the mast broke - an incredible thing in itself - that went over the side and that weight, combined with the side wind, and combined with the anchor holding caused an extraordinary lever to increase the heeling moment. “All that combined put her on her side. Then those big side windows blew out and/or an open aft deck to the interior and she flooded in a jiffy. Hard to imagine what else it could have been.”

If you were on deck you stood a chance, it seems to me. If not, you were in bad trouble.

Sponsored Links
Well Katja Chicken is one of the survivors but the chef won't be cooking tonight after his body was found...still no sign of the owner.

Luca Mercalli, president of Italy’s meteorological society, said the sea surface temperature around Sicily in the days leading up to the shipwreck was about 30 degrees Celsius, almost three degrees more than normal. Karsten Borner, the captain of a boat that was moored alongside the Bayesian but escaped harm, said Monday’s storm had been “very violent, very intense, a lot of water and I think a turning system like a tornado”. “The water is ... way too hot for the Mediterranean and this causes for sure heavy storms, like we had one week ago on the Balearics, like we had two years ago in Corsica and so on.”

One of those suggesting an extraordinary coincidence of different circumstances, all occurring in rapid succession, is the celebrated yachtsman and author Skip Novak, a well known figure in ocean racing who has sailed extensively in Arctic and Antarctic waters. Novak told the Guardian: “My theory with what little is out there is when the mast broke - an incredible thing in itself - that went over the side and that weight, combined with the side wind, and combined with the anchor holding caused an extraordinary lever to increase the heeling moment. “All that combined put her on her side. Then those big side windows blew out and/or an open aft deck to the interior and she flooded in a jiffy. Hard to imagine what else it could have been.”

If you were on deck you stood a chance, it seems to me. If not, you were in bad trouble.
Novak's theory makes some sense, particularly if the falling mast caused significant hull damage combined with the massive influx of water the boat would lose buoyancy very quickly. Plus you have the lower density water caused by the storm whipping air in to the waves.

Looking at the mast and furler boom (I assume), you could have easily achieved the same sail area with a much shorter mast and square top system. But that wouldn't make it a records breaker.

Classic FM news says the search teams haven't given up hope of finding someone alive, even on the fourth day. How long could anyone survive in an air pocket with a limited supply of oxygen and I assume that water gets a tad nippy at night, too. But wouldn't they have been able to search the upturned hull by now?

But wouldn't they have been able to search the upturned hull by now?
It will be chaos in there and disorientating. Horriffic job. And dark. It's not like they can illuminate the whole area. They will need to be methodical too.

5 dead found now so just one missing. 4 bodies bought up. A report mentioned that the mast is intact.

Hours after news of the sinking broke it emerged that his co-defendant at that trial, Stephen Chamberlain, had died after being hit by a car while out running in Cambridgeshire.

Ya gotta wonder... :unsure:
Indeed you do have to wonder...

Plus another one missing (maybe now found?) is the chairman of Morgan Stanley Intl...

5 dead found now so just one missing. 4 bodies bought up. A report mentioned that the mast is intact.
Perini boss claims it was unsinkable. Where have we heard that before about vessels at the bottom of the sea.

Perini boss claims it was unsinkable. Where have we heard that before about vessels at the bottom of the sea.

He has said that if the following steps had been carried out it would have been safe. What do you think?

shut all doors and hatches, turned on the engine, lifted the anchor, lowered the keel and turned the yacht to face the wind

I hadn't seen that...

Shut all doors and hatches - absof**lutely.
definitely better to be making way than at anchor, in rough weather. It goes against common sense, but you are much safer at sea that in a sh**y anchorage without enough protection.
I hadn't realised it had a lifting keel. Again unless you have to raise it for shallow water it should be down for max stability.
Turning to face wind.. That would depend. All yachts want to turn bow down wind, so it might settle better, bow down wind, but obviously the pointy bit (bow) has less wind resistance and there may be something about the deck layout that makes it unstable with the stern to wind.

Sounds like they are going after the skipper then.

The only reason for having it lifted is if they had tried to get in close and shallow to get some protection. But it settled in 50m of water, so that doesn't add up.

Ever read so much utter incoherent drivel as the op? Jealous lefty gievance 'reporting' at it's finest from the hand-wringers' rag. Usual vindictive soak the rich claptrap, forgetting they provide employment and pay large amounts of tax. OP too slow to work out that this is needed to pay for their multicultural dream.

Denso and Himmy will lap it all up. Aye, aye - Captain Hogwash!

Exactly :ROFLMAO:

And them whingers probably have spare capacity in there house ??

Germany’s Navy says there was “no deeper message” in the choice to blast the famed Imperial March in the “Star Wars” films from one of its warships as it cruised down the River Thames through London this week.

...erm...okay. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back