Texecom JAL-0001 ComPort+ Digi Modem Port Pinout?

I may have to abort this project in it's current form and try ser2net on a Raspberry Pi.
I've found ser2net bulletproof for controlling the movement of a remote telescope mount.
If this works (with Max3232 presumably), I would definitely suspect the serial line levels of the ESP8266.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've had a chance to setup a full test panel (Elite 64W) this weekend and played around with this project but I just cannot get the ESP8266 module to communicate with the panel at all. I thought I did previously but I think I was mistaken and interpreting the module RX/TX LEDs incorrectly.

I have probed the serial data being sent and it is arriving at the panel but the panel will simply not respond. I have tried almost every combination of settings on the panel comports and changed the IP port number (making sure to reset the com port each time by toggling to 'Nothing Fitted' and back) and a host of other settings (methodically) but the result is always the same.

There are reports of others getting these modules to work and it may be that I have built the esp-link software wrong but I have tried a few different units and they all work back to back with each other so as far as I can tell it 'should' work.

I may have to abort this project in it's current form and try ser2net on a Raspberry Pi.
I wish I could help in some way, but certainly keen to follow your progress!
Have you seen:

Last edited:
I've found ser2net bulletproof for controlling the movement of a remote telescope mount.
If this works (with Max3232 presumably), I would definitely suspect the serial line levels of the ESP8266.

2024-08-08 23.23.48.jpg

I was thinking along the same lines and I suspect that Texecom panels may simply not play nicely with the (possibly fake/cloned) CH340 chipset of Arduino based modules.

After going back to basics and testing with a CP2102 module, Wintex connected straight away without any issues on Com Port 3 and without any configuration changes (this is basically a USB-COM after all).

I will build a Raspberry Pi image with ser2net and test over wifi...

I wish I could help in some way, but certainly keen to follow your progress!
Have you seen:

Thanks for the links, they are slightly different to what I am trying to do but using similar modules.

My problem is/was getting the panel to actually communicate over it's com port with my module(s).

I made some incorrect assumptions along the way which I have hopefully overcome and can now move on to the next stage.

Sponsored Links
2024-08-09 02.28.02.jpg

2024-08-09 02.47.51.jpg

...and finally success!

Raspberry Pi 3B+ running 64bit Bullseye, fully headless (SSH & VNC setup), ser2net installed and CP2102 USB module and we have a rock solid Wi-Fi backdoor connection to the panel on com port 3 along with a Smartcom installed on com port 1 & 2.

This also works with the panel setup in Monitor Mode and can be accessed concurrently with Wintex whilst connected to the Texecom Cloud at the same time. I tested this by running the online keypad in the cloud and also the online keypad in Wintex at the same time.

This is not rocket science but it is a challenge to get it all running with the current releases of software which have mostly been updated far beyond the requirements of this project.

I think the issue with the CH340/Arduino modules are not the serial levels but the default baud and parity connection algorithm which will need further investigation.

Well done, and congrats on getting it working!
I also have had issues before fake CP2102 boards especially when flashing IoT devices. I’ve had better success with something like: https://www.tindie.com/products/voltlog/voltlink-cp2102n-usb-serial-adapter-programmer/

Im happy to donate one to you if you think might help?

Now you’ve gotten working with a Pi, are you going to explore ESP8266 or 32 again? Selfishly it’s because my goal is to put a ESP8266 in the texecom panel as requires much less maintenance than a pi

#Edit
Can you try set Creston protocol at comport3 as really all I need to know is if my sensor detect movement it sends me a notification

Last edited:
Absolutely this
Now you’ve gotten working with a Pi, are you going to explore ESP8266 or 32 again? Selfishly it’s because my goal is to put a ESP8266 in the texecom panel as requires much less maintenance than a pi

Absolutely this. Now I have my proof of concept and know that I am not going mad (YMMV) I will concentrate on the ESP modules and see if I can brute force the serial communication somehow - it may still be that I have built esp-link incorrectly before flashing it to the module.

Can you try set Creston protocol at comport3 as really all I need to know is if my sensor detect movement it sends me a notification

I'll have a play around in terminal and I'll keep you updated...

Selfishly it’s because my goal is to put a ESP8266 in the texecom panel as requires much less maintenance than a pi
Although more expensive, don't rule out the Pi, on the basis of maintenance.
I have a headless Pi Zero W, with several years of uptime.
And although you may mount it in the Texecom panel, it can still perform other tasks - mines primarily a DNS, but also a media and network radio server - it doesn't matter that it is mounted in a hifi! :)

Although more expensive, don't rule out the Pi, on the basis of maintenance.
I have a headless Pi Zero W, with several years of uptime.
And although you may mount it in the Texecom panel, it can still perform other tasks - mines primarily a DNS, but also a media and network radio server - it doesn't matter that it is mounted in a hifi! :)
I actually forgot these devices existed, I have a normal pi which runs HA, HomeGaurd and various other containers including acting as a DNS (which is frustrating when it reboots as my internet goes down)
I might get a pi zero just for this purpose! Great shout

I would certainly go for the Zero 2 for the small extra cost they are much more powerful.

The only issue is powering it in the panel because the particular ESP module I was trying to use can be powered directly from the Texecom com port (12v) without any extra PSU.

I played around some more and I have now removed the USB adapter totally and I'm running direct to the RPi UART GPIO pins via a small level shifter (panel is 5V TTL and the RPi is 3.3v). Setting this up was a challenge with recent changes to the Raspberry OS!

This appears to be rock solid so far and coupled with a Pi Zero 2, this would all fit inside the panel or mounted neatly outside.

I have a new Pi Zero 2W somewhere doing nothing so I may switch over to that next week to make it more compact.

As a side note, something @secureiam mentioned a few weeks back got me thinking - the original Premier panels are quite dated now but still plenty around and with Redcare being switched off soon. This is an easy and cheap way to add some smart features to a dated system where an upgrade is not viable or wanted.

Still have to play around with Cestron...

2024-08-09 19.05.30.jpg

Latest project update running on RPi02W and working well.

2024-08-10 19.04.57.jpg

I don't think I can power the RPi from the panel directly but I'm thinking of running this in a small external enclosure on top of the panel anyway to reduce the possibility of RFI to the WiFi so a separate PSU is not a deal breaker.

After spending a few hours again with the ESP I have aborted using them because either the 2 units I have are both faulty or the modules simply will not communicate with the Texecom ports for reasons unknown. Every other device I try to communicate with using the ESP just works.

The Pi02W does eveything that the ESP can do and also has 5G WiFi as well which is a bonus. I appreciate the SD cards can and do fail but I'll clone a working image once setup and keep it safe so imaging a new SD should only take a few minutes.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back