UK inflation worsens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
More or less agree with that, except my walk has a few short 'downhill' stretches. (y)

And, depending on how short and gentle those downhill stretches are (in comparison to the uphill bits), you can have deflation and still have higher prices than at the same time last year (y)

Sponsored Links
Which each would be deflation (y)

And, depending on how short and gentle those downhill stretches are (in comparison to the uphill bits), you can have deflation and still have higher prices than at the same time last year (y)

Yeah, in my examples I've acknowledged that if inflation halved the price for the basket would still be higher than the previous year, but for a short period will be cheaper than the previous month.

Sponsored Links
We all eventually die from lack of oxygen ;)
1690104146914.png

Disinflation.
For example, a food item on December 2021 is $5. The price increased by $1 every month. Suppose, from July 2022, the price only increased by $0.5; this is disinflation. There is still a price rise, but the rate has decreased, i.e., from $1 to $0.5.

Yeah, in my examples I've acknowledged that if inflation halved the price for the basket would still be higher than the previous year, but for a short period will be cheaper than the previous month.
That's like saying if the rate of acceleration halved, you'd be going slower.
No you wouldn't. You'd still be going faster, but the rate of acceleration wouldn't be as high.

Roy

I'm close to admitting defeat, but before I do. You are all, categorically stating that it's impossible to have a monthly fall in the price of goods?

It's perfectly possible to have a monthly fall in prices. It's called deflation. It's also known as a negative rate of inflation.

Disinflation is when the rate of inflation falls, but is still positive.

Roy

Edit, think of electronic goods, the prices annualy have probably reduced, over the last ten years or longer, but it does not affect inflation. It's just one item in a range of goods that is being measured.

With regard to why inflation is quoted against the same period in the previous year, my best guess as to why would be this:

Inflation / deflation is calculated on a typical basket of goods.

The typical basket of goods in December will likely contain turkey, Sprouts, and Christmas crackers.

The typical July basket:suncream, ice cream, shorts.

Comparisons between those two baskets would be effectively meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back