Wales becomes Trumpton

1994, 2003, 2007 all looking backwards :LOL:

Nobody is attacking the early reductions which almost certainly targeted valid roads (outside schools etc) and which were around 20 years ago and put in place with entirely different criteria to today (e.g. DOT 1/93).

Do try to understand the subject matter if you are going to join in.

This thread is about the benefit of a blanket reduction of all restricted roads to 20mph and there simply isn't any research to support it. It deviates from all the government guidelines and has been an embarrassment to the welsh Government, has had huge public backlash, cost a load of money, damaged the economy and now has to be undone.

Now let's take a look at your fact sheet: The number of people killed or seriously injured (KSIs) rose from an average of 18.3 per year to 19.9 per year in the same period

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
rose from an average of 18.3 per year to 19.9 per year in the same period
"...although the relatively low numbers of recorded KSI casualties in Portsmouth mean that small fluctuations up and down by chance can have an undue influence on this. Much of this increase came from the number of pedestrians injured and it was not possible to measure whether the amount of pedestrian activity had increased following the introduction of the 20mph limits. "

Sponsored Links
You're welcome to look at the years since the scheme and baseline it against the national trend. It doesn't look too good.

Some interesting points made in this article against increase in speeding offences and presumably lower limits. Number of casualties in decline.

Probably diwn to speed limit compliance, becoming more prevalent over the years (since speed cameras etc).

Some interesting points made in this article against increase in speeding offences and presumably lower limits. Number of casualties in decline.

You've also got to consider other measures that will have reduced incidents.

Rules around pedestrians, cyclists, vulnerable road users came into effect in 2022. These rules could have contributed to the downwards trend in incidents in Wales which would of course embed over time.

In fact at the time of introduction (in my opinion) these changes to the highway code were poorly publicised. They could have lead to a spike in incidents in 2022 as people mixed up the rules (i.e. pedestrian crosses junction expecting car to stop (new rules) while car expect pedestrian to stop (old rules). [thinking about the Esure study quoted earlier]

I did read it and I checked other sources too - You understand these are speeding offences. Not drink and drug driving offences?

Speeding offences recorded in Essex
71,695 in 2019.
76,167 in 2022
98,297 in 2023.

137% increase since 2019. That doesn't support

Probably diwn to speed limit compliance, becoming more prevalent over the years

In fact at the time of introduction (in my opinion) these changes to the highway code were poorly publicised. They could have lead to a spike in incidents in 2022 as people mixed up the rules (i.e. pedestrian crosses junction expecting car to stop (new rules) while car expect pedestrian to stop (old rules). [thinking about the Esure study quoted earlier]

This rules didn't change, they were just fleshed out a bit in the HWC.

Cars have never had priority over pedestrians. crossing side roads.

This thread is about the benefit of a blanket reduction of all restricted roads to 20mph and there simply isn't any research to support it.
Although it's subjective, I tend to agree with this. Most of us have the savvy to drive along a 20 road and get a feeling that 20's plenty based on the road and its surroundings. However for some 20 zones, if you actually drive at 20, you get the opposite feeling i.e. that 20's too slow for the road and surroundings. As I say obviously it's subjective, however most of us will have experienced both the aforementioned.

The same holds true for some 60s that are reduced to 40, you get the feeling that 50 would have been a more reasonable compromise.

And this tends to cause a loss of concentration or compensation for the safety benefit. Speed limits that are too low for the conditions cause drivers to either ignore them of click on the speed limiter / cruise control and start behaving like a passenger.

This rules didn't change, they were just fleshed out a bit in the HWC.

Cars have never had priority over pedestrians. crossing side roads.
Yes they did change.

Headline pasted here from link above for you:

News story

The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022​

Sponsored Links
Back