Wales becomes Trumpton

Sponsored Links
Cars have never had priority over pedestrians crossing side roads.

The changes are here.

and here is a sh*t load of case law

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cars have never had priority over pedestrians crossing side roads.

The changes are here.

and here is a sh*t load of case law
From your link above:

OLD HWC

**** BLANK ****

H2 NEW HWC

"At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning".

That is a change.

Common sense has always been if someone was crossing you would let them continue to cross. Previously people waiting cross a junction would typically wait for the car to pass before crossing.

New rules impose changed requirement for vehicles to stop before turning to allow those pedestrians waiting to cross to go first.

That was never in the highway code before, ergo the change I was taking about originally. Ironically I was suggesting these changes might have influenced the stats (so that the speed limits alone may not be the only factor for reduced accidents in Wales), so I was supporting your premise...but you seem to want to argue with everyone.

Just after I started driving there was, still is, a road leading into Leicester. The speed limit then on the dual carriageway was 30MPH but the police let it be known they wouldn't prosecute at 40MPH. The average speed on that road actually went down.
Sadly with the increase in car numbers and lane restrictions that no longer holds true and the average speed in now below 30MPH.

Read and weep
Nice post and facts reported are likely to be true. However - statistics - which roads had the limits imposed. Just what criteria was used to make the choice. Was it roads that had significant levels of accidents or what.
More correct statistics. Medical. One lot get the real thing. The other a placebo.

Speeding offences recorded in Essex
71,695 in 2019.
76,167 in 2022
98,297 in 2023.
At the end of December 2023, compared to December 2022, in the UK there were: 41.2 million licensed vehicles,
At the end of 2019, there were: 38.7 million licensed vehicles in Great Britain.

So that doesn't explain it. However far more working from home in 2023 suggesting less road miles done.
However is Essex policing the same as other areas in the country? Can't find the same dates but for England and Wales.
The number of drivers convicted for speeding has reached an eight-year high, new figures show.
Some 236,480 motorists were successfully prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit in England and Wales in 2022, according to analysis of Government data by Churchill Motor Insurance.
That represented a 16% rise on the total in 2021 (203,545) and was the highest in records dating back to 2014.

So speeding convictions rise each year yet the number of casualties is constant or falling? :unsure:

Well the comment was about Essex but a fair extrapolation I would suggest. No doubt you will find reason to disagree.

At the end of December 2023, compared to December 2022, in the UK there were: 41.2 million licensed vehicles,
At the end of 2019, there were: 38.7 million licensed vehicles in Great Britain.

So that doesn't explain it. However far more working from home in 2023 suggesting less road miles done.
However is Essex policing the same as other areas in the country? Can't find the same dates but for England and Wales.
The number of drivers convicted for speeding has reached an eight-year high, new figures show.
Some 236,480 motorists were successfully prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit in England and Wales in 2022, according to analysis of Government data by Churchill Motor Insurance.
That represented a 16% rise on the total in 2021 (203,545) and was the highest in records dating back to 2014.
None of which suggests people are complying with speed limits more.

Perhaps there are lots of roads with inappropriate speed limits.

Sponsored Links
Back