What are you having for breakfast?

Sponsored Links
Listening to a Michael Mosely podcast last night - Just One Thing - about little life changes that can help your health.

According to research quoth by MM, reheating carbs - such as pasta, rice, bread even - is better for your health than "first time around" cooked, as it breaks the carbs down into a slower-release, more fibre-like, variety.

A good tip (for toast lovers) - keep bread in freezer, and toast it as you need it.
Bread therefore doesn't go off - it's in the freezer - and you benefit from the reheating effect. (y)

"Reheated Pasta" was the title of the podcast.

A good tip (for toast lovers) - keep bread in freezer, and toast it as you need it.
Bread therefore doesn't go off - it's in the freezer - and you benefit from the reheating effect. (y)

I do this now.

keep bread in freezer, and toast it as you need it.
I don't think bread keeps good in the freezer. It isn't the same after it's been frozen and defrosted and is only good for toast after it has been through that process, imho.
Besides, it's as cheap as chips, there's no value in freezing it, it would cost as much to keep it frozen as it would be to buy a new loaf.

Sponsored Links
I don't think bread keeps good in the freezer. It isn't the same after it's been frozen and defrosted and is only good for toast after it has been through that process, imho.
Besides, it's as cheap as chips, there's no value in freezing it, it would cost as much to keep it frozen as it would be to buy a new loaf.
Not if you eat Sourdough. And getting good Sourdough is a job in itself living where I live.

I'll try to find the link about the benefits of freezing bread

As said, and it toasts fine.

It might be "cheap", but £1.50 for a bloomer (not many more than a dozen slices).....unless I'm eating toast every day - which I wouldn't want to - I'd be chucking half of it away every time.

Because just like cooking and cooling, freezing also turns starch into resistant starch. Amazingly, this means that your body gets far fewer calories from the bread. In effect, the resistant starch feeds your gut bacteria, rather than feeding you.

I found this out because I'm big on Gut health and sourdough now

We put it straight in the freezer, packed as two slices, in sandwich bags. It's mostly used straight from the freezer, for toast, except when we have F&C's, when it's taken out an hour before, to defrost. Used for F&C's, it can taste very fresh, almost as good as when it went in the freezer, but the bread we get, is not always as fresh as it perhaps should be - and I do appreciate really fresh bread.

Avril volunteered to do me a cooked breakfast yesterday. Much as I like cooking breakfast, the past few times, by the times it's ready, I've felt dizzy and a bit sick, I'm not sure whether the heat from the hob, low oxygen, or quite what.

Three slices of spam, egg, plum tomato and a half fried, half buttered slice. Rather than open a tin of toms, use a bit/waste a lot, we now split a tin contents into three and freeze two for future consumption. We do likewise with the mushy peas, to go with the F&C's.

I found this out because I'm big on Gut health

Another thing I found out, on the subject, is that people who drink a little red wine have better gut microbiome than those who drink other types of alcohol, as well as those who abstain.

Because just like cooking and cooling, freezing also turns starch into resistant starch. Amazingly, this means that your body gets far fewer calories from the bread. In effect, the resistant starch feeds your gut bacteria, rather than feeding you.

I found this out because I'm big on Gut health and sourdough now
Nuts to that - i'll take a fresh crusty slice every time.

I do this now.
Bread in the freezer - I’ve always done that.

Anyway, today’s brekkie - egg, bacon, mushroom and tomatoes. Not a fig in sight.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back