What are you watching on TV right now?

An article about some bloke on the BBC news that goes around in his own time cleaning up neglected war graves in cemeteries. Doing a fantastic job. I looked him up on his just giving page to make a donation to him but it had closed as it had reached his target. He should open another one.

Sponsored Links
An article about some bloke on the BBC news that goes around in his own time cleaning up neglected war graves in cemeteries. Doing a fantastic job. I looked him up on his just giving page to make a donation to him but it had closed as it had reached his target. He should open another one.

He's still on now, very interesting, especially the bit about the research he does, into the history.

I thought the War graves commission paid for the work to be done?

There was a prog on Al Jazeera where a survivor of the Muslim genocide in Bosnia searches the woods for remains of his people: a jawbone, a lighter, shreds of clothing. Not much left. But he remembers.

Sponsored Links
I thought they only took care of mass British military graves, in foreign parts?

These are individual private graves, in the UK.
That explains it.
I once paid a visit to the grave of William Coltman when i heard his story: the grave is always immaculate and, sometimes, fresh flowers will still decorate his resting place.

Meanwhile...
...the start of Wimbledon is kind of a tradition for me and this year was so much better for the lack of Sue Barker wittering away. And the inevitable victory for Novak Djokovic: ten years since he lost on Centre Court o_O - last chap to beat him? Andy Murray, 2013 final. He ought to play on a handicap, like a racehorse, carrying a ten pound backpack or something. Maybe the new Spanish guy, Alcarez can beat him on a good day but he's still the man to beat, if you want to win the Championship.

Just watched the Wimbledon men’s final. What a cracker. The Covid coward lost to the youngster. However, he was graceful and humorous in defeat. I’ve changed my mind about him. I like him.

I can't understand what happened to Novak's serve. He was fine in the first set but early in the second he sent a wild and woolly shot away into the far corner then became more erratic as the final went on. And those baseline drop shots drop me crazy! 'Stop f****kin doing that!!'
Alcaraz is a worthy champion though. Damn! he's quick around the court and his whiplash forehand a thing of beauty.
Maybe Djokovic can have 2 or 3 more chances at equalling Federer's record but it'll be an uphill struggle at his age.

I was interested to hear Henry Searle was the first Boy's Champion at Wimbledon since 1962: i read Sir Stanley Matthews autobiography a few years ago and he mentioned how proud he was when his lad won. He didn't go on to have much of a career in tennis, though. None of them do. The only winner i'd heard of since that time was Shapovolov in 2016. Maybe Searle can be the exception.

Maybe Djokovic can have 2 or 3 more chances at equalling Federer's record but it'll be an uphill struggle at his age.

I don't think his age has anything to do with; he's still a machine.

What will make the difference, IMHO, is the attitude of the competition.

Alcaraz now knows that he can get into Novak's head.
And Novak knows that Carlos knows this too.

If / when the likes of Stefanos, Daniil, Holger and Casper gain the confidence to beat Novak (rather than go into the games already defeated), his time will then be done.
IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Back